View Poll Results: What type of bike should I take?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - Cube SL Cross Race

1 50.00%
  • 2 - Cube SL CROSS TEAM

1 50.00%
  • 3a - Cube Tonopah Trail 2011

0 0%
  • 3b - Ghost-Cross 7500 2011

0 0%
  • 4a - BEONE CHASE

0 0%
  • 4b - Cube X-RACE COMP

0 0%
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Road-hybrid for brevets and cross trail? Please need advice!

Hi, everybody!
    I am 26 years old, I live in Russia and I'm a big fan of brevets and long trips "wherever I want." The next season I want a new bike. I want to buy it as soon as the right choice.
    And here I am stuck. And I hope for your help, guys!

I have road-byke (entry level: "Sora", carbon fork) and MTB (as an entry-level). First I use for brevets and long trips on the asphalt. Second - for trips to the woods, dirt roads. At what both love in equal proportions (but in the first place - brevets!).

My two bikes I have ceased to hold.
    I want one, one that would combine their property (60/40% in the ratio of asphalt / forest or dirt road).
    I want a hybrid! High-speed hybrid, which would allow a speed close to the road bikes, but it would not overawed and unpaved forest area! At the same time was a comfortable fit, i.e. rider-position (which is also important).

My budget is ~ $ 1500 + / -. I choose from the following bikes (in order of importance):

1) Cube SL Cross Race (http://www.cube.eu/au/tour/cross-roa...sl-cross-race/)
    (Achievable high-speed on road, which I need .. but - whether he will withstand heat on forest roads? That I do not know. And the only thing that does not allow me to decide on all 100% in favor of this bike).

2) Cube SL CROSS TEAM (http://www.cube.eu/au/tour/cross-roa...sl-cross-team/). It confuses aluminum fork and a lack of highway system (at least the rear cassette to 12-25!). Although the weight is within 10kg! How do you think the bike will behave on the highway and through the woods?

3a) Cube Tonopah Trail 2011 (http://www.cube.eu/au/tour/country-lite-series/tonopah/). Nowhere could find any reviews or opinions. Therefore it is not known for his "highway" and "MTB" quality. And I have a concern disc brakes - with more problems (I would like usual v-brakes)!

3b) Ghost-Cross 7500 2011 (http://www.ghost-bikes.de/2011/en/bi...11-cross-7500/). Same as the previous paragraph 3a). But "happy" label characterizing its purpose: "It doesn't matter if long tours on level roads or spontaneous off-road trips are your passion. You never know what's ahead and you don't have to. The GHOST Cross bikes are up for anything.
    A combination of a mountain bike's stability and a race bike's speed.
    The 28 "hybrids are nearly as robust as pure offroad bikes and almost as fast as classic race bicycles. We employ reliable mountain bike technology combined with 28 "wheels, the perfect combination for a spontaneous trip down the next gravel trail.
    "

This is exactly what I want, but (again) - you can write anything you want ..

And, my last option - cyclocross bykes!
    4a) BEONE CHASE (http://www.beone-bikes.nl/EN/products/cyclocross.php)
    4b) Cube X-RACE COMP (http://www.cube.eu/au/road/x-race/x-race-comp/)
    It is unclear following things: how to behave on the highway (of course, change the tires to "Schwalbe Marathon Race ") and, most importantly - specific rider position the bike is not "crack you neck down in a highvoltage rock-n-roll" through the 100km? After 200km? After 1200 km? I want to go on PBP-2011!

What BYKE should i bought? Please advice!

Feral Roadie
    I wouldn't get any of those bikes. Here's a thread you might find useful

Dream Gravel/road/trail/cx bike...

IMHO, drop bars are a must for long road rides and the right bars can work just fine as off road bars if you add cyclo-cross brake levers. Any kind of suspension is going to make for a relatively heavy bike and doesn't really buy you much unless you're riding over rocks, roots and other similar terrain.

I'd look for a drop bar bike with disk brakes and the ability to use fatish tires. I'd stay away from the "real" cx bikes as they have geometries that don't work well for long road rides.

It isn't in your budget, but a 650b conversion of a relaxed geometry road bike would fit your needs very well.

If that bike had disk brakes it would be "perfect"...

- Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i think all that bikes you posted are for something more race style, for a fast day trip not too loaded, for longer trips i would look fore a more robust bikes like kona sutra or dew drop.
    but off the bikes you posted i take the cross team

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks guys for you're opinions.
    I decided to remove from consideration point 3a) Cube Tonopah Trail 2011 and 3b) Ghost-Cross 7500 2011 as inappropriate (on the rocks, I do not want to ride).

But it became more difficult to choose the "right" bike.
    For myself, I decided that I do not necessarily need a drop bar: on my road bike I'm using maximum three (often only two) positions to hold on to a drop bar (although I have a more elongated than I need, rider position). I think that having the brakes right at your fingertips more optimally (especially for cross-country). And the hybrid is self-evident.

bbense,
    I'd look for a drop bar bike with disk brakes and the ability to use fatish tires.
    I think that kind of byke (with good disk brakes) will cost a lot more of my budget.

I'd stay away from the "real" cx bikes as they have geometries that don't work well for long road rides.
    You mean cyclocross? It has drop bar, the ability to use wide tires, road cassette .. But if it is not good fit for long trips rider positions - it brings to me all these "pluses" to nothing. [Exus me for my English))]

It isn't in your budget, but a 650b conversion of a relaxed geometry road bike would fit your needs very well.
    Concept bike look great for my need! Is it possible toget a link to the particular frame "650b conversion"? The geometry looks really suitable for long trips!

erickB
    i think all that bikes you posted are for something more race style, for a fast day trip not too loaded
    But this is just my style of riding! Long trips at high speed is not as burdened with excess weight. If I liked dirt road, round the horizon - not thinking I'am "trade" asphalt on it!!
    And for trips over 400 kilometers and more I do not take more than saddle bag "Topick Dayna Pack" and light-weigth backpack behind my back!

Tell me what you liked cross team?

Guys, what do you think: will the essential difference between carbon and aluminum fork for my needs?

What if I take any of these bikes and made a small upgrade, ie fitting it to my needs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    He steel.
    Want light. More "dexterous". Not "brown."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i liked more the cross team over the cross race, becouse its more apropiate for off-road, and the transmission is more flexible for manage hills specially out off the road and with weight.
    the others bike have suspesion and the ciclocross dont have holes for racks

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Cruiser

bbense,

I think that kind of byke (with good disk brakes) will cost a lot more of my budget.
    Avid's BB7's are cheap enough and come in road lever compatible models. Since disk brakes are now UCI CX legal, you'll start seeing more and more stuff available.

If you want to learn more about 650B conversions see

http://www.bikeman.com/component/opt...0B/Itemid,135/

To be honest, I would worry less about what the bike is made of or what it weighs than the geometry and tire size. The La Salsa Vaya comes in right at your price range

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?Item=100043028

and I can't see doing any better than that for what you want to spend.

You mean cyclocross? It has drop bar, the ability to use wide tires, road cassette .. But if it is not good fit for long trips rider positions - it brings to me all these "pluses" to nothing. [Exus me for my English))]

Concept bike look great for my need! Is it possible toget a link to the particular frame "650b conversion"? The geometry looks really suitable for long trips!
    That's my bike and it's a 2006 Specialized Sequoia with some equipment tweaks and 650B wheels. I don't think Specialized is still making that style of bike, but Jamis makes
    one in either carbon or steel. Basically look for a road bike that has "long reach brakes".

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...uest_spec.html

- Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I read many topics and read the various opinions on the bike that meets my requirements.
    Many opinions and there is no single "common."
    Therefore, I concluded that I have to rely on my own "flair" and choose a bike that is first on my list: it fully meets my requirements, what is more, if I eventually do upgrade, it is possible to improve its properties depending on the requirements (or in the direction of the road or rough terrain style).

Having read the thread "Endurance Racing" I was surprised by the bikes out there that spread: a lot of bikes with steel frames. "Strange" geometry and form factor. The fact is that in my country (more precisely - in my town) steel frame long ago "went out of fashion". And the taste, the concepts of good, "cool" bike are very different from yours (who shared the link to the topic "Endurance Racing") look at it. (By the way: this [[URL="http://www.cycles-for-heroes.com/bikes/cyclocross/pure-blood"[/URL]] is so awsome!)
    I have to admit that you trust for quality and style, when we - on the bright appearance and "weight" of a bicycle. I think this is what our bicycle shop - one of the trash, designed for personal not familiar with this business person who has come to choose their first bike.
    (Well, there are online stores!)

Thank you all for opinions. I chose a hybrid that was originally planned!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A month ago, got a bike: Cube SL Cross Race 2010!
    3x10 Ultegra!

Super happy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What do you think guys?

Find only this reviews:
    A fantastic Bike unbeatable in this price range for components etc...Rides so smoothly and quietly, the seat is not the most comfortable but easily ignored due to the breathtaking performance. I've cover nearly 200 miles on mine now and loved every one of them! I highly recommend this bike. The finish is incredible and the wetlook paint is a great touch. (http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/cube/sl...-2010/reviews)

I did a lot of research and study on every hybrib bike out there before chooseing the CUBE SL cross race.. In my view it is a true hybrid and not just a racing bike with a flat handlebar! I was a little wary of buying a cube as it is a brand im not too familar with, but after seeing them in the 'flesh' my worries were cast aside. The finish on the bike is execellent, and the components with the exception of maybe the brakes are all top drawer.. It really annoys me that most if not all bike manufactures these days are skimping on parts! They stick on a nice rear derailler and maybe chainset and they think we wont notice the rest! The brake levers on this cube were the same as on my daughters 300 euro bike which didnt seem right on a bike thats almost one and a half grand!! I upgraded to a set of XT brakes and also changed the tyres as i dont think i would have stayed upright for to long on the kojaks on wet roads!An added bonus for me was i noticed i got dura ace hubs and not the ultegra as advertised! The ultegra chainset really sets the bike off.. The saddle is very comfy..a cross betwen a road and MTB saddle! The riding position is excellent although i had to upgrade to a longer stem.. The bike gives you an great feeling of confidence over mountain roads, especially in the wet! You have that secure feling with the wider tyres and your fingertips always next to your brakes! The front carbon fork soaks up plenty and delivers a really smooth ride! All in all this is a great bike for hard training on flat or mountain roads and doubles up as a great bike for nipping in around town.. the sleek black stealth colour draws a lot of admiring looks.. so would i recommend it? definatly YES!! (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...ModelID=44384)

I'll ride long trips on the pavement (including Brevets) and frequent arrivals on rough terrain (groomed dirt roads!)