mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Which Rigid fork?

I have the old polymer Girvin fork on my 95 Specials Hardrock.

I'd like to make the front fork rigid again but no longer have the original fork.

Recommendations on affordable forks that would fit proper and be similar to what was there. What size am I looking for. (Keep in mind responding that I don't know much about actually working on my bike. I used to just pay when I was a teen since I didn't have bills. Just started getting into fixing lately)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi there. You'd be looking for a fork with a 1" steer tube. I just did a quick search for one and did not see a lot of options Iactually none) in a 26" wheel size. I did run across some 700C forks, though. Those wouldn't work too well with your tire size.

There are plenty of folks on here with a ton more knowledge than me, but I don't see this being both easy and affordable. Although, affordable is a relative term. Your bike also takes a threaded steer tube, which narrows the choices down even more...

I'd say scan Craigslist for a bike like yours. I see them on Craigslist in my area all the time. Or look at eBay. I just did a search for your bike and saw at least 5 from that era for sale.

Good luck with your search!

J-

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Measure the length of the legs of your current fork from the axle to the crown, which will give you the "axle-to-crown" length. Subtract a third of the suspension travel, like 20mm or so (what was the old fork's suspension travel? Probably like 60mm or so for a fork of that vintage). There - you're looking for a rigid fork with roughly that axle-to-crown length.

If you have a bike co-op or a bike shop that sells used parts, go look there for a fork. If not, getting a fork off of a donor bike from craigslist or a thrift store is a good suggestion.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Dont forget pink bike and in my area there is a LBS (the bike pedaler) Sandy UT who specializes in vintage bikes. I hate to break it to you but a 95 bike is going to be hard to find parts for. If you rekindle a passion for riding save for something newer.