DaBomb Molotov rider

Riders of Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk or Brodie Hellion/Bruzza

Amongst other options, I'm considering buying the Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk. I do both XC and urban/trials type riding. What's this bike like for urban/dirt jumping and freeride, eg 4-5ft drops onto flat pavement? Or is it more an XC bike? It seems to have a fairly good fork, so am I correct that it should be able to handle urban and that kind of rough handling?

The 2004 Brodie Hellion and 2004 Brodie Bruzza seem similar - are they also XC bikes which allow some urban riding? I did notice that they have a bashguard, unlike most XC bikes. I'm assuming that both of these bikes and the Hardrock Pro Disk are lighter than most FR/DJ bikes though.

It would be great to hear from anyone familiar with any of the above bikes! Or if I'm gonna do a lot of urban or FR, am I better off getting a FR/DJ type bike designed for heavy landings, and yet which I can also take on the XC trails??? BTW I'm 6'2", 170lb.

Thanks for any tips!

Wish I was riding
    Oct 2004
    I've been riding the Hardrock pro for a year now, and I've loved it from the start. I also do a little urban, but mostly trail riding. I've taken this thing to Moab, and have ridden pretty hard on some real technical terrain. I've tried my best to break the frame, but it's not gonna happen. It's a great choice for a budget freeride/trail/urban hard tail. The stock fork is not ideal, but it does okay. Nothing in this price range is gonna have a fork any better. I've upgraded to a Z-1 Dropoff, and it's made a huge difference. The only other problem I've had is the bottom bracket/ crankset. It's square-tapered, so it wears much faster than ISIS drive models. I've had to replace both. Hope this was helpful.