mtbr member
    May 2009

Reynolds 853: 44mm head tube, 30.9mm seat tube

I've been considering getting Reynolds steel hardtail frame for sometime, but don't like 1.125 head tube and 27.2 seat tube. Then I found this.

Reynolds 853 tubes, 44mm head tube, 30.9mm seat tube.

Have they(Reynolds) just started to produce these modern sized tubes? Or these are made just for 2soulscycles? Does this mean we can expect to see more modern sized tubing Reynolds steel HT frames in the near future?

singlespeed stephen
    Apr 2012
    Check out those Transition TransAMs. I think they're 4130 steel but they've got 44mm headtubes, 30.9 seatpost. They make a 29 and a 26. I got one when a friend ordered the 29 and they sent a 26 frame so I built it up from the frame. The way I prefer it.
    2012 Transition TransAM
    2012 Surly Cross Check
    2010 Rocky Mountain Flow DJ

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I almost pulled the trigger on 2012 26 TransAM even though it's not Reynolds, but then I realized that the geometry was not what I liked. HA is tad steep for my liking. I like something with slacker, low bb, and shorter chainstay.

Quote Originally Posted by speederson View Post
    Check out those Transition TransAMs. I think they're 4130 steel but they've got 44mm headtubes, 30.9 seatpost. They make a 29 and a 26. I got one when a friend ordered the 29 and they sent a 26 frame so I built it up from the frame. The way I prefer it.

singlespeed stephen
    Apr 2012
    Yea I really don't have enough experience on enough different bikes to know what I really like, but I do like the transam so far. But its all about preference. All I know is, I don't like gears and I don't like the full squish!
    2012 Transition TransAM
    2012 Surly Cross Check
    2010 Rocky Mountain Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Butasan, you might want to try a post in the frame building section. The people in there keep up on what tubing is out there and might have better insight on this type of post.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by butasan View Post
    I've been considering getting Reynolds steel hardtail frame for sometime, but don't like 1.125 head tube and 27.2 seat tube. Then I found this.

Reynolds 853 tubes, 44mm head tube, 30.9mm seat tube.

Have they(Reynolds) just started to produce these modern sized tubes? Or these are made just for 2soulscycles? Does this mean we can expect to see more modern sized tubing Reynolds steel HT frames in the near future?
    It seems unlikely that 2soulcycles sells frames in sufficient volume to be the only reason Reynolds would make that sort of tubeset. Most likely, any custom builder could order it.

Steel HT frames in stock geometries are a bit of a niche market but maybe we'll see companies Jamis making production frames like that in a year or two. In the meantime, custom is your best bet.

On that note, the boutique steel frame builders will all tell you not to insist that they use any particular make and model tubing. Or if they don't tell you, that's what they're thinking. Tell them how you ride, what you like to do, what features you want, and how you're built. Then let them make the tubing selections to suit the design.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Members who have read this thread: 1