mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Revive or replace, M2 stumpjumper comp

Well, its been a few years since I have mountain biked seriously, but since I am moving to Utah in a few weeks, I've decided that its time to think about doing it seriously again.

I've got an M2 stumpjumper comp already, this thing has been ridden pretty hard in the past (I raced for about 3 years on it, then went to just recreational riding). As far as I know, the frames in good shape. I do know that the rear hub is a little out of whack, its fairly new, it just needs the dish fixed (at least I think thats the problem, its got a wicked hobble that it translates through the whole bike). The front hub and wheel seem to be fine. The rear derailer (original XTR) is turning into a sloppy shifter, I'm not sure if it can be fixed or if it needs to be replaced. The bottom bracket might need to be replaced as well. I also hate the sloppiness of the front fork, I've preferred a stiffer fork and have never ridden a judy fork that lived up to those expectations.

So, is it worth reviving this bike? I absolutely love the light frame, being a 17, I can really whip this thing around since I'm 6'. But, is it worth it to sink the money into the bike, or should I look at getting something newer? I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I am not opposed to being a used bike. I am partial to Specialized, I have raced two of their bikes and have always been pleased with them. As far as sticking with a hard tail, I haven't ridden a softail that was newer than 2003, and back then I never liked the weight of them, or the sloppiness that I got out of the back end, however, I might be able to get a killer deal an a 1999 FSR extreme that was barely used, I think he rode it for one maybe two weeks as a mountain bike.

I'm not real sure about the trail systems in NE Utah (Vernal area), as to whether or not they will cause my twins to wish that I had a softail, or that I will be fine with another hard tail.

As far as price, I cannot see myself spending over 1K, and thats a high price limit, since I doubt that I would be racing again anytime soon, and would probably only get to ride a few times a month.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by schlockinz; 02-06-2009 at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    So I've revived my Stumpjumper. But in hindsight, I should have just picked up a newer hardtail.

Mainly two components. Fork and brakes. My forks were blown and I couldn't see rebuilding a 15y/o fork for $130. Or $230 for a Marzocchi MX Pro Lo fork. Then there is the V-brakes that are no good in wet and muddly conditions. Not so bad in the dry.

You can price out your own wheels.

Or you should be able to pick up a newer HT for under $1000 with good fork and disc brakes.

I'm picking up a new bike soon and will turn my HT into a bike my wife can ride.

Off the back...
    You could probably pick up a slightly-used Stumpjumper, Trek or similar bike for well under $1000 that would have all mod cons [disc brakes, a non-sucky fork, round wheels, etc.]. I wouldn't spend much getting your old bike ship-shape.

mtbr member
    What do you want to do with it and whats your budget?

mtbr member
    Some inspiration for you. My '95 M2:

Dave
    Blog / Strava

sj4
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

93 m2 stumpy

From pics

From pics

don't revive.....
    don't replace............
    Strip

Eric's eno rear hub 36x14 v brakes are lighter than disks (cheaper too) get new pads and good cables -- ebay a carbon ridgid fork and go to town....

change it
    ride it
    like it
    keep it
    don't like it
    change it
    ride it
    like it
    ride it
    ride it
    ride it
    Last edited by sj4; 02-07-2009 at 06:49 AM. Reason: pics didn't work

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Last edited by ddac; 08-26-2009 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddac
    What fork is that on the singlespeed M2?
    It is an '07 SID Race, 80mm:

Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've got a '99 M2 Stumpjumper that I've revived as a second bike and I love it, but if I was heading for Utah and was only going to have one mountain bike I'd be getting a new one, no question.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Last edited by ddac; 08-26-2009 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    REVIVE IT!!!!!
    I have a 96 model. I've slowly upgraded over the pass couple of years and the bike rides great.
    don't worry about having disc brakes. Put a good set of v-brakes(xtr) or some avids and that will take care of that issue.

Plenty of good wheelsets to buy on ebay for less than 200$$$ that will work.

I found a Marz z1 bomber that had the paint strip off of it. Now I can paint it to match. The fork is a little heavier than most but is bullet proof, stiff and very plush.

You have one the best frames ever built. Don't let it go. Revive it.

It's about showing up.

Someone has to say it.

That bike, unless you have humongously long freak show legs, is way too small for you. Sell the M2 and get what you can for it ($250?)
    Get a new bike that fits you.

mtbr member
    251, such a beautiful bike!! I guess you got the 80mm fork to keep the geometry the same since the original fork was 80mm as well?

PS - does that mean the fork is worth more than the rest of the bike?
    No, the fork probably isn't worth much. I beat the crap out of it and had to rebuild it a few times: SID Rebuild.

Originally, the M2 FS came with a RockShox Mag 21, which I swapped for a Manitou 4 when I bought the M2 new in '95. Both forks had about 63mm of travel. The '07 SID replaced an older dead SID, which replaced a Mantou SX, which replaced a Manitou Mach 5. All of these (I believe) were 80mm forks. In my experience, the 80mm forks did not adversely affect the handling of the M2.

I've since put a 100mm '08 Reba on my geared hardtail and it has held up much better than he SIDs I've abused. That said, the new SID with 32mm stanchions is probably a much more durable fork than the older SIDs.

Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Last edited by ddac; 08-26-2009 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Mind me asking what ratio you're running? How many gear inches? Or what chainring/cog combo you're running?

Also, would you mind posting a close up shot of the rear hub with the chain tensioner & cog/cassette?
    I'm using the original middle ring from the XT crankset which is 32t and a 16t or 18t cog depending on terrain. I tried to find a "magic ratio" to avoid a tensioner, but there wasn't anything in the range I wanted for my chainstay length. The Surly Singulator tensioner isn't my favorite. I originally had it setup to push down on the chain, but it would skip and didn't have enough tension. I swapped it to pull up on the chain, but the spring was too weak in this configuration as well. I then used zip-ties to pull the Singulator to the chainstay; this has been the most reliable setup. At some point I may get a Paul's Melvin to replace the Singulator.

The first configuration with the Singulator pushing down:

More recent configuration:
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Last edited by ddac; 08-26-2009 at 07:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Please post your pics in the "Official M2 thread". AMAZING picture of an amazing bike! Wait, those XT cranks were OEM?!?!?!?? My 99 had other cranks on it.
    Thanks, the M2 has always been one of my favorites. I believe I've been through four cranksets on the M2; the original plus three XT cranksets. I have a bad habit of bending them. Anyway, I don't remember what came on it, but according to Bikepedia it was an LX crank.

I posted some more info, photos and a video to the M2 thread.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava