mtbr member
    May 2013

Return the Walmart bike?

How's it going everyone?

I've been a lurker for a bit, but definitely needed to join. I was into free-riding decently a few years back, until I got lazy and gained weight. Now, I'm heading back out to the trails, but am on a VERY tight budget. Now, I do know that Walmart bikes and such are pretty much low-quality most of the time, but it's all I can realistically afford right now.

I picked up one of their bikes (which was setup HORRIBLY) for $199. It really is all I can afford at this time. I know I should wait to get myself a decent GT or something, but I really want to ride NOW. Lol. It's a Hyper Cam Zink Pro bike, hardtail with 26" wheels. (Search it up if you'd like). In person, the bike is pretty sturdy and tight after being correctly set-up, and it rides nicely. However, I have a feeling the hubs are not going to hold up well, since there is a slight bend already.

Question is, should I even take this bike out on the trails? I'm doing some medium trails locally (South Mountain @ Lehigh U, PA) and they aren't too crazy and the jumps aren't very big.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I didn't look up the model but I can picture it in my head. A bike like that is most likely made for fire roads or smooth gravel roads. I'm sure it's only made to look like a mountain bike, not perform like one. I'm sure that if you took it on a trail you'll either end up breaking components on a regular basis, or require tuning it up after every ride...its not worth putting money into it.

If it was purchased from a local bike shop, then id probably advice against returning it, since they will most likely be taking a complete loss on the sale. But since it was bought at wal mart, then might as well return the thing. If you have the money to step up to a better bike, I'd do it. You could probably find an older used bike for around that price that was once a decent ride. Riding a bike like that might take away all the fun and be a huge headache.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    I didn't look up the model but I can picture it in my head. A bike like that is most likely made for fire roads or smooth gravel roads. I'm sure it's only made to look like a mountain bike, not perform like one. I'm sure that if you took it on a trail you'll either end up breaking components on a regular basis, or require tuning it up after every ride...its not worth putting money into it.

If it was purchased from a local bike shop, then id probably advice against returning it, since they will most likely be taking a complete loss on the sale. But since it was bought at wal mart, then might as well return the thing. If you have the money to step up to a better bike, I'd do it. You could probably find an older used bike for around that price that was once a decent ride. Riding a bike like that might take away all the fun and be a huge headache.
    Thanks for the advice man. Its pretty much a dirt jump hardtail. I'll be honestly that the quality on this one is much better than your standard Walmart full suspension offerings. But you're still right about the quality and durability.. I know it'll all mess up eventually, but I thought it would at least last me a light season.

But I'll look into finding a used bike again. I was looking for a used one originally, but couldn't find anything that fit my budget, which is understandable.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So, I thought i'd update you on the bike. I took it up to some good trails and ended up snapping the cassette. So it won't pedal. Lol.

Back it goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you need to keep looking for a used hard tail. You should be able to find something like a trek 4300, specialized Hardrock, etc. may even find a single speed but that might be out of your budget. In any case, don't settle for another POS that's gonna die on you. Be patient.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    you need to keep looking for a used hard tail. You should be able to find something like a trek 4300, specialized Hardrock, etc. may even find a single speed but that might be out of your budget. In any case, don't settle for another POS that's gonna die on you. Be patient.
    I'm going to wait. I'm actually at Walmart now and just returned it. Rear Hub was bent too. Lol. I've been selling some things I don't need on Craigslist, so I should be able to join up about a grand, and then I'm gonna look for a quality bike. I figured the Walmart one would last at least a few rides, not just one lol.

Thanka for the suggestions too, I'll look at some of those models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    how tall & heavy are you? are you looking for a full suspension or strictly a hardtail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    oh yeah, my buddy bought a Mongoose from Walmart or Dick's a few years back. Within the first mile of the trail his handlebars rotated all the way down and nothing we could do would get them tight. they stripped between the stem and bar interface. 20 seconds later one of his seatpost bolts snapped. ended up having to walk back to the car with is bike in pieces.
    Most of those bikes has stickers on them that state they are "NOT FOR OFFROAD USE". IMO, they shouldn't come even with knobby tires.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    how tall & heavy are you? are you looking for a full suspension or strictly a hardtail?
    Im 5'10 and about 270 I would say. Luckily it's not all just fat lol. I definitely want full suspension, but would take a hardtail if the components were worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    oh yeah, my buddy bought a Mongoose from Walmart or Dick's a few years back. Within the first mile of the trail his handlebars rotated all the way down and nothing we could do would get them tight. they stripped between the stem and bar interface. 20 seconds later one of his seatpost bolts snapped. ended up having to walk back to the car with is bike in pieces.
    Most of those bikes has stickers on them that state they are "NOT FOR OFFROAD USE". IMO, they shouldn't come even with knobby tires.
    That sucks. These bikes are honestly garbage, I knew that the Wally World bike would be **** but I had hope that it would survive a season. I even hurt my foot on that damn thing while climbing a rocky section and the cassette gave out and I slammed the side of my foot onto the rock, it's bruised now...lol

I like pie.
    My head shakes. Eyes closed. One thought: Mistake. Leave said bike where someone will steal it-too late to return for refund. Don't ride until you can afford a decent used or new bike. One can actually injure one's self on said POS. Not worth it. See above post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soliton View Post
    I'm going to wait. I'm actually at Walmart now and just returned it. Rear Hub was bent too. Lol. I've been selling some things I don't need on Craigslist, so I should be able to join up about a grand, and then I'm gonna look for a quality bike. I figured the Walmart one would last at least a few rides, not just one lol.

Thanka for the suggestions too, I'll look at some of those models.
    Airborne and Bikes Direct sell well speced bikes in that price range.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Soliton I also live in the Lehigh Valley.

It's too bad you just missed (last Sat.) the spring flea market at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center. Twice a year there is a huge bike only flea market with tons of deals to be had. The fall one should be in October. Keep an eye out for it.

Other than that, keep an eye on local ads. There's great riding around here and if you save up for a proper bike, you'll enjoy it all the more.

mtbr member
    $1000 will get you a really decent hardtail that will handle your weight just fine. I road a Specialized RockHopper 29er that I got new for $750 at 320 pounds. Bike lasted two seasons before I sold it. It was still in good shape.