mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Return to MTBR- new bike or rebuild current frame

Hello all,

I need some advice.

I have a 2002 (?) Titus Switchblade (blue- if that helps with year).

I used to ride alot 10+ years ago, but got married, kids, job, return to school, family health issues...etc.. Mountain biking fell by the way side.

I want to start riding again and hitting the local arizona trails.

So, ive had the bike checked out, replaced the tires, etc. The switchblade is rideable after being in storage for all these years.

Heres my debate... Im a gear junkie, no matter what my hobbie, so when Im ready...Do I just buy a new bike, or should (can I?) just upgrade my existing Titus Switchblade frame? Will I being able to find components--drivetrain, cranks, deraillieurs..etc that will fit this frame.
    Im aware Titus is not out of business.

Thoughts? Some guidance please.

Thanks

mtbr member
    You can easily find parts, and all the modern stuff will fit just fine. Except forks, they're tapered now.

A newer bike, even a few years old and used, would be a huge upgrade. Early 2000s wasn't the best era for frame design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You can easily find parts, and all the modern stuff will fit just fine. Except forks, they're tapered now.

A newer bike, even a few years old and used, would be a huge upgrade. Early 2000s wasn't the best era for frame design.
    Thanks for the reply.

So front fork is not able to be upgraded then?

Wasnt aware the design was not desirable. Is the geometry/design so bad it shouldnt be considered rideable any longer.

So finding a new (used in my case) would be the more logical choice then?

So what to do with the Switchblade? Any resale value, or is it just scrap metal at this point?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    It was rideable then, it's rideable now. I see it's a hybrid Y-frame design. Another poster put it well when he described Y-frames as an "evolutionary dead end."

But it'll get you up and down and back in shape.

As for resale, I suppose someone might buy it--you never know--but I doubt anyone would pay more than a hundred bucks for it. Then again, BicycleBlueBook says about $400 for "fair" condition for the XT kit ...

If you decide you want something newer, you could always keep the Switchblade as a backup or pass it down to your kids when they're old enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks HDparrish.

I agree. I really dont want to sink a ton of money into riding right now. I think I just ride it, if I can upgrading the front fork and drivetrain I do that, otherwise next summer ill buy something else and keep this as a backup. wife wont be happy, but such is life.

Jan 2008
    If it still has the same tires from the last time you rode it however many years ago, I'd recommend some new rubber. Same for brake pads and what not. Might service the fork and shock, too, or take the bike to a local shop and have them do it.

Basically, I would ride/treat it as an XC bike. Don't do anything too crazy and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks.

I just looked. Non tapered forks still sold. I had new tires put on, and serviced today. Im gonna enjoy it this summer, and do a suspension and 1x11 drivetrain upgrade next summer. Dont do hills in az like i did years ago in WA state.

Jan 2008
    Yes, 26-inch forks with straight, 1 1/8-inch steerers can still be had. Unless I found a screaming deal, though, I'd buy a new bike before a purchased another fork for it because, chances are, you won't be able to transfer that fork to anything new.

mtbr member
    Here is my two cents I recommend rebuilding the frame and fork, have a pro do it. Go over the whole bike in regards to R&R, maybe a fresh set of wheels would be a good investment. Try riding a new bike and you may come to the conclusion that upgrading your bike may be a futile endeavor. Your bike is a keeper if it is rebuilt.

mtbr member
    https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...elset-2015.htm example of an affordable upgrade for an older bike.