mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Replacing Crankset. Advice/Suggestions

Hey guys,

I need a question answered and some advice.

I have a 2006 Jamis Dakota Comp. I believe at this point the crankset is trashed due to the main crank screw keeps getting lose and then out of nowhere I lose my left crank, sometimes both. Over time, this has caused the internal teeth to wear out and they are getting stripped every time a crank arm comes off. Not to mention I'm tired or racking myself when this happens.

I don't know a whole lot about bikes but I plan to fix/replace it myself. I am just unsure of what I should be looking for for a replacement.

The current crankset is a Truvativ Firex LR, 22/32/44 with a Truvativ GXP bottom bracket. I believe this model was marketed specifically for Jamis but I could be wrong. It's been awhile since I looked into it.

What information do I need to know aside from this to find a suitable replacement set?

I am a clydesdale also, so maybe this is part of the problem. However, I have read of others having this very same issue on this crankset.

Any additional information and/or suggestions on replacements would be appreciated. I ride my road bike more than my mountain bike these days and I would like to replace these components for under $200.00

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I've been rolling on the Shimano SLX triple crankset for a while, and I love it. Seems super tough, stiff, not much heavier than an XT, and looks good too (imo.)

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...eProductSearch
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Yes, the LR is an OEM spec'd crank. I have never liked Truvativ's "one bolt" attachment design. For $200 you should be able to pick up a Shimano LX (or maybe even an XT on close out) or one of the FSA MegaExo cranksets. Both have better designs than the Truvativ. FYI -- your GXP BB will not be compatible with either the Shimano or FSA cranks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    FranklinMich,

So should I be replacing the crankset and BB at the same time?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Also, how do I know what length my current crank arms are? I like the length they are right now...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Can anyone help me out on what exactly I would need to replace on my bike if I were to swap over to the Shimano SLX M660 Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket. I can't seem to find what shell size I have for the BB...

Is this everything I need to bolt and go ride???

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You can measure the shell width directly. Will be either 68mm or 73mm. Doesn't matter with the SLX crankset, it comes with spacers to fit either.

The crankset comes with everything you need for parts. You'll also need some special tools. See post #11 here: Ceramic or Stainless BB bearings?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This one:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx

How tall are you or what size is your bike? If it is a Med-large you will need 175mm arms. Some riders who spin at high rpm might use 170mm but 175 gives you more leverage. If you like your old crankarm length, look for a marking on the inside of arm might be 170-172.5 or 175