Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Replacing 03 StumpJumper FSR - Need Input

Time for my SJ to be put out to pasture. So much has happened in the market that it makes your head spin.

I'm 6'3" 226 lbs with 34" inseam so I assume I'm looking for a 21-23" frame.

Older guy riding the Don (Toronto) fairly aggressively - I try to be fast and smooth, ride some of the built features, but no aspirations to race or do big drops. I ride with my rear locked out most of the time but today's rear suspension can lockout on its own from what I've read.

Curious about the 650b for our area since it is a lot of short downs with longer switch back ups. Will attend Fall demo day but wanted to start gathering info.

So my questions are:
    - does a 29er make the most sense for my size and area? LBS is telling me so but I've been on my neighbours Trance X2 and it feels very odd. Need to take it for a trail ride obviously.

- my key criteria is ride enjoyment which means reliability and longevity, so what are the important specs to pay attention to? If I need to lose a couple lbs off the bike, it can come off the rider!

- FS or HT: I realize I ride current bike with rear locked out most of the time but it has some give even with it locked out. Need to consider what's best for the roots and rocks of The Don.

- should I be concerned about buying a good used bike that is a couple years old? This Camber caught my eye. This Ad from Bike Shop gives you an idea of what GTA pricing is like.

- LBS carries Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Devinci, and a few other elite makes. They price their bikes a little higher due to the neighbourhood but I'd be happy to buy there if they can be competitive. Open to cross border purchase as well.

Paid $2300 cash for my current bike so I'd like to stick in the same ballpark and I'll ride this horse until its dead.
    Last edited by Van G; 08-12-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added pricing
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member

The Cambre I linked above is a 2012 with about 150 km on it. Owner upgraded rear shock to Fox.

Thoughts on XXL for my size and the bike in general? Fair price?
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    Had a good chat with tech at LBS and he thought I should go with aluminum frame (my wieght) and hardtail 29er for the type of riding we do here in Toronto and how the 29er rolls over most things.

Showed me 13 Specialized Carve Expert and Comp, as well as the Giant XTC.

Not able to trail ride any of the bikes and the demo days have come and gone until next year.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member

Still trying to figure out what type of bike suits my build and areas I ride?

This looked interesting on CL: '12 Specialized Epic Carbon Expert - sponsored rider claims less than 600 miles on it and a bunch is the stock parts were removed for sponsored parts and are now back on in new condition.

Any experienced Toronto and SE Ontario riders have input on what works well for our trails?
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    At $6.5k link you posted, your option is wide open

Giant Trance
    Cannondale Scaple
    Trek Superfly, Fuel EX

mtbr member

Think the link you are talking about is the local price reference. It has 20+ bikes priced out.

My budget is $2300.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    2014 Giant Trance

mtbr member

Another trip to LBS and was shown Giant XTC Advanced again they are suggesting an XL but I Can't take it for trail ride, parking lot only.

29 feels funny but the HT doesn't bother me for the Don Trails and SE Ontario.

Was told carbon for my weight was a bad idea which I thought was the opposite - stiffer for more weight.

Starting to think about what group I really need for my situation as well - XT or SLX.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Alu should be stiffer...carbon typically flexes more.

XTC 27.5 or 29?

If it's tight and twisty then smaller wheel might be better...but since u r so tall 29 might just be fine...but then u feel it is weird.

Speaking of demo day, yeah make sure you get to that and get there the moment they start. Demo 29. If it's a Giant demo day...there might not be any 29ers to ride...there wasn't when they came around a month ago. Giant is all about 650B/27.5 now.

mtbr member

Agreed, I need to hit the two demo days in TO shortly.

Neighbour has a Giant XTC-0 29er - large that I can take for a trail ride. Spent a couple minutes in it in the street which is where my 'weird' comment comes from.

LBS is sticking to their advice that 29 HT is right for Toronto trails and my type of riding.

The more I look at vidz online it strikes me that Don trails aren't all that technical, just non stop action.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member

Toronto Fall Blowout show is around the corner and I want to get a list of 5-8 bikes that I'm comfortable pulling the trigger on. Expecting these will be '13 and '12 29er inventory.

Demo day around me never materialized so I'm still limited to parking lot trials.

So far I'm looking at:
    2013 Giant XTC 29er - which model is the best value?

2013 RM Element 950 RSL - unlikely it will make my budget but is it a good fit for my size and riding?

Need to fill out this list so I can find local shops and see if they have XL to try out.

Assuming that my $2500 budget may translate to a $4000 MSRP at the show.
    Cheers,

Van G

turtles make me hot
    I'm as tall as you, same inseam, a little heavier. I can't imagine ever going to any wheel smaller than a 29er.
    I've got 5 years on a Stumpjumper FSR 29er. Absolutely love it. It's an XL.
    I also just picked up a Salsa Spearfish in XL and love the way that bike feels as well.
    If you think you might like a hardtail, be sure to look at the Surly Krampus. I rode one that belongs to a friend who's 6'7" and fell in love with the bike. It's next after I finish my fat bike.
    The Krampus has a 29" rim with a 3 1/2" tire that ends up being like 30 1/2" tall.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

That Krampus looks like a real clydesdale!

What about the 29er for our size do you feel is best?
    Cheers,

Van G

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Van G View Post
    That Krampus looks like a real clydesdale!

What about the 29er for our size do you feel is best?
    The wheels are more in proportion to our size. The wheelbase is a little longer so the bike fits us a little better. My 29er felt "funny" to me for a very short time. Now that I've got real ride time on it, I can put that bike just about anywhere.
    More contact patch on the ground works better with big guy's weight.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Great, thanks for the feedback. Now I'll have to see what sort if inventory the LBS have. I suspect they stock M and L primarily.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    What do you think about this '12 Giant XTC 0 29er for sale> SRAM X7 decent quality?
    Link

What's a fair price? I know my neighbour bought this bike, but with XT instead of X7. He paid $1800 new, from LBS. Has had issues with brakes squealing (replaced twice) but enjoys it otherwise.
    Cheers,

Van G

turtles make me hot
    Based on the background in that pic the guy seems to be doing home improvements. Maybe he needs the money...
    Just kidding. I don't know... Go there with cash and see if he'll take 12 for it.
    I know a few guys with Giants that didn't care for the rims on that bike and swapped em out with Flows or Arches.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Based on the background in that pic the guy seems to be doing home improvements. Maybe he needs the money...
    Just kidding. I don't know... Go there with cash and see if he'll take 12 for it.
    I know a few guys with Giants that didn't care for the rims on that bike and swapped em out with Flows or Arches.
    What's the quality of the SRAM X7 like?

Cost to out new wheel set on this bike should your friends observation prove true? $450
    Cheers,

Van G

turtles make me hot
    X7 stuff is great. Shifts real nice.

The rear hub on that thing MAY be a DT Swiss 350. If it is, just replace the rims. Stan's rims are about 90 bucks apiece and if you need spokes and nipples or just nipples, the price will adjust accordingly.
    Or ride it as is and see if you even need to change rims.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Still have my eye on that used '12 XTC but shops are really starting to move things out.

Seriously thinking about Carbon HT over FS bike because from my reading it seems like the 29 wheel with Carbon frame, most of the chatter from small roots (less than 2") and small rock will be soaked up. True?

Figure the gain in climb is better than plushness of FS.
    Cheers,

Van G

turtles make me hot
    Don't know. Only carbon bike I've ever ridden was a Salsa Beargrease fat bike.
    The tires soaked up so much I could only tell the bike was light and fast.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Got a good price on '14 Anthem 27.5 1 that fits my budget. Advanced version doesn't fit but could possibly consider.

Thoughts on Anthem 27.5 1 in terms of the quality of components used for larger guys?

Rode '14 Solo 27.5 (L) - need an XL for sure but found the suspension to be way to plush. Realize it can be tweaked but it just seems that plush a ride will suck the life of me climbing.

Hoping when I test Anthem it is significantly stiffer.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Ordered '14 Anthem 27.5 1 XL today. Have to wait until late October but it will be here before I know it.

Going to look for a dropper post at Toronto Fall show.

Is the 03 SJ worth selling? Need quite a few things to keep it going.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Need a few things like what?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Need a few things like what?
    Rims are pretty bad so likely new wheelset it at least rebuild.

Tires

Cassette, rings, chain

Think that's it: derailers, brakes, levers, frame, shocks are all good.
    Cheers,

Van G

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast