mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Repairing my old Jekyll 700

The Coda gear on my old Jeckyl has given out as it was junk to begin with. I had Coda wheels with a four bolt disc pattern and Magrua Clara brakes which parts are no longer available. I can buy a new rear six bolt compatible wheel and install Juicy 3 brake there but what to do with the front? The lefty fork still works fine and I do not want to spend $100ís to buy a hub from Cannondale and then lace a wheel. Front wheels do not take a beating usually the way I ride this bike, so can I fit a juicy 3 brake on this fork, as it is not a post mount but has two holes to accept bolts from the side, and use the coda wheel with 160mm rotor with its obsolete 4 bolt pattern?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drpilger
    ...... it is not a post mount but has two holes to accept bolts from the side, and use the coda wheel with 160mm rotor ........
    This might be a problem. Sounds like you are describing IS mounts (bolts from side, 74mm spacing), which are fine. until you need an adaptor to convert to postmount (juicy 3 caliper).

IIRC, they don't have a IS->PM adaptor that keeps the rotor size at 160mm, so if you use an adaptor you need to go up in size to say, 180mm or 185mm.

Another solution would be to find an older 160mm disc brake set, say an XT or XTR that came with IS mounts on the caliper. That was you could bolt it directly without needing an adaptor.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by civil
    This might be a problem. Sounds like you are describing IS mounts (bolts from side, 74mm spacing), which are fine. until you need an adaptor to convert to postmount (juicy 3 caliper).

IIRC, they don't have a IS->PM adaptor that keeps the rotor size at 160mm, so if you use an adaptor you need to go up in size to say, 180mm or 185mm.

Another solution would be to find an older 160mm disc brake set, say an XT or XTR that came with IS mounts on the caliper. That was you could bolt it directly without needing an adaptor.
    Your confused...IS fork to PM caliper has 160mm adapters for Avid, Shimano, Hayes, etc.

It is trying to adapt an old IS caliper to a PM fork that requires stepping up to a 180mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Oops, thanks.