mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Removing shallow dent from alu tube by filling with ice?

I have a beautiful Cannondale frame that got a very small ding near the middle of the toptube. I am thinking of plugging one end of the tube, filling it with water and freezing it. Anybody heard of doing this and if it worked?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have heard of using oil and sealing the tube ends and pressurizing the oil. Too much water and you might split the tubes. A few years back there was a failure of a lift tower on Blackcomb from ice jacking. Water got into the tubular tower base froze and damaged it. A thin walled tube? And it would have to be a round tube as well. And hydro formed shape would come out of it I think.

On wuss patrol
    Not worth risking splitting the tube IMO. Difficult to control the rate and amount of expansion once the water reaches freezing. But hey, if you do try and it works (or not), post pics and method deets here, please.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Avoid doing this at all costs. Freezing water in tubes is only an effective method for repairing large dents in low stress applications. In my experience with trying the same method with 2 stroke expansion chambers, small dents are usually unaffected and oftentimes large dents do not completely reverse themselves. After several times, pipes usually split.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    just leave that dent, nothing you can do innit.
    if you ice the frame you will always wonder if you have weakened you frame innit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Not worth risking splitting the tube IMO. Difficult to control the rate and amount of expansion once the water reaches freezing. But hey, if you do try and it works (or not), post pics and method deets here, please.
    I split a tube on a old Klein using water, we just when for a 90 minute run and the fork was gone so be really careful...

mtbr member
    with what ive seen water that gets trapped and freezes do to steel tubing, no way unless your paying for me a new frame would I ever try it. Not worth it. A small dent is all thats wrong on the frame, you need to ride harder,lol. MTbs are ment to get scratches, dents and such, at least you have proof its ridden well.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

CS2
    mtbr member
    How small of a dent is it?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

T.W.O.
    Not a good idea, at best it may solve that problem but I'm sure it would introduce other problems. That said if you do decide to go thru with it put it on your phone camera or vid camera

mtbr member
    Are you familiar with paintless dent repair? I wonder if one of those shops would be able to fix it. It amazes me some of the dents they are able to fix on cars by just prodding on the dent from the inside.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Yeah, don't do it. I have a small dent in the top tube of my RMB Blizzard and I know someone whose ex took a hammer to his, so the story goes, and neither of us at this point have fixed it. Wear it like a badge of honor and if the real story sucks invent one to pick up the ladies.

That said, I did try to use dry ice followed by a heat gun, rinse repeat cycle, to see if I could work out the dent. Didn't work and it cracked the clearcoat so I had to use clear nail polish to cover and seal it in case of rust. I've heard of making wood blocks with a cutout of the circumference of the frame tube, setting the frame in the blocks on a vice, and working it out. However, the results I've seen still show a small dent and the paint is also gone. The only thing you could do, and it will cost, is to have a frame builder fill it and repaint. In your case, you may have to find a builder who works or will work with aluminum since many builders tend to steel, at least around me. So, I'd just leave it.
    No fuss with my MUSS,... or my Rockies
    *looking for a RF Deus Hbar Blue uncut*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkissam View Post
    Are you familiar with paintless dent repair? I wonder if one of those shops would be able to fix it. It amazes me some of the dents they are able to fix on cars by just prodding on the dent from the inside.
    Paintless dent repair on cars is a heck of a lot easier than on a bike, but not necessarily a bad idea to consider and ask about. An old ex of my sis's used to do that, he had some sort of suction aparatus to do it rather than pounding it out from the backside. I've been looking into options for repairing dents caused by my 2 yr old on the stainless fridge, don't know if that would work since the fridge door is mostly flat and possibly thinner. I do not like stainless but the wife does and she don't listen either, so I wasn't surprised when it happened but she was. They also take more effort to keep or make to appear clean imo. Anyway, curious if you work it out OP, but it'll take some effort that could be better applied to riding the thing.
    No fuss with my MUSS,... or my Rockies
    *looking for a RF Deus Hbar Blue uncut*

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Tell people it's where you racked your nuts last time you hucked it 40 feet. And leave it alone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Pushing a dent out of an aluminum tube will only weaken the tube, you're better off leaving it alone.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1