mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Recon Silver TK Coil OR XC 32 TK?

Facing a bit of a crossroad with purchasing a new front fork. My existing RS Pilots gave up the ghost on the weekend after landing too heavily on the front of the bike - not a bad run considering their age.

Now I am looking at upgrading from that pogo slush feeling to something that performs better but still fits within my budget.

The problem I am having is that the 2 forks I found are the same price, and very similarly specíd Ė which is making the overall final decision very difficult.

Rockshox 2012 Recon Silver TK Coil 100mm

OR

Rockshox 2012 XC32TK Coil PopLoc 100mm 26" Fork

XC32TK Specs: XC32TK PopLoc fork features 100mm of coil sprung travel with 32mm stanchions. Remotely mounted PopLoc lockout and rebound adjustments. 1-1/8" steerer tube and 9mm QR dropouts to suit 26" wheels

Recon Silver TK Specs: Rockshox Recon Silver TK fork features 100mm of coil sprung travel with 32mm stanchions. Turnkey crown mounted lockout and rebound adjustments. 1-1/8" steerer tube with 9mm QR dropouts to suit 26" wheels.

Both are the same price to buy online in Australia
    tbsm.com.au

What are some peopleís thoughts on either?

I currently ride a 2003 GT Avalanche with a handful of upgrades on things that have broken over the years (brakes, crank, pedals, wheels, etc). Ideally I donít want to spend more than the bikes worth on a new fork, which is why I found the above forks a good compromise with cost vs performance. I have spent a bit of time looking at second hand, but I donít like the idea of buying someone elseís problems.

I ride 2 or 3 times per week, mostly XC trails that have steep rocky/hilly sections and technical descents with small fast paced drop offs. I would like something that is going to be able to keep up with my riding style, and not something suited for big dirt jumps, flat track or the likes.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    No suggestions?
    Open to other shock types/brands if anyone would like to add their 2c recommendations?
    Would like to get back on the bike soon, but not end up with something where I was wishing it was something else.

mtbr member
    Probably get more feedback in the suspension forum.

Forks sound very close, the diff being remote lock out. I run a Manitou with lockout on my 26 and only used it a couple of times when I first got it. IMO not a deal breaker and just another cable coming off the handle bar.

Since they're so close it would come down to color for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Being new to the forum I probably should have looked around a little better for the suspension area....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Recon is an air fork correct? Thats the selling point for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh wait you said coil ha sorry well id still go with the Recon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got the Rockshox 2012 Recon Silver TK Coil 100mm 2 days ago and I love it. I will probably get some sh!t for this but I actually like it better than my Fox F100 RLC.

I purchased mine for $200. I think you can also change the travel by 20mm with spacers if you desire.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just purchased the 2012 Recon Silver TK Coil but have yet to use it. Got it new for $170 shipped from ebay.

I think that the difference is in the steerer? There are different combos according to which type of recon and xc you get. I think that between your choices you have a Recon with an alloy and xc with steel. Might also be a difference in stanchions. Recon is lighter. From what I have read it is the superior fork.

Check for mad dog on ebay. Like I said 170 shipped for the recon coil

Members who have read this thread: 1