mtbr member

Recommend a FS XC or light AM?

As a relatively new rider, I have spent the last few months and few hundred $$ upgrading components on my '05 Fisher Tassajara. I've come to the point where it just seems silly and I am ready to start to look for a new bike - which will be my first FS.

...as a relative newb, I am fairly uninformed as to the pros/cons of specific bikes, the amount of travel I need and in general, which bikes I should look at. I would likely end up buying a complete bike, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying a frame and individual components and having a local tech assemble it.

I mainly ride singletrack, XC type stuff. I don't ride anything too aggressive (no DH or FR) but would like to have something a bit sturdier so that when I get to that point, I can feel comfortable taking the ride out to the mountains here in NC for a little faster, more technical stuff.

A buddy of mine has a Santa Cruz Superlight and may be parting with the frameset and fork (at a really reasonable price) when he upgrades to a Blur. Another friend suggested a Sette Flite as a reasonably priced entry level FS, but I feel like I could do better? As espected, there seem to be fans and haters of almost any ride, but the ones that keep coming up it seems are the Giant Trance X*, Trek Fuel, Santa Cruz Heckler/Blur...any others I should consider?

The upper end of my budget will likely be $1800-2000. In terms of time-frame, I cannot see myself buying the bike before next spring (and destined to ride my HT through the winter) so I've got time to think, spec out the best ride for my $$ and research - I just need some solid starting recommendations. Any recommendations, the more specific the better (especially regarding specific components) would be great!

Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Something like the YETI ASR Alloy frame would probably work well in your price range and it does normally sell for up to $1800, currently down to $1100. it's a popular frame and offers very good value with a smooth racing ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I took the OPs 1800-2000 to be his whole budget, not frame alone.

I would look to get a hook up from the friend selling the Superlight. Make an offer that's fair to both of you and move as many of your HT components to it as you can. You can stay well under your budget going that route. It's definitely towards the XC end of the spectrum tho.

For a new bike you'll be hard pressed to do better than buying a fully built bike from any of the usual suspects, e.g. Giant, Trek, etc. Look at last years bikes over the winter.

David B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbeinct
    I took the OPs 1800-2000 to be his whole budget, not frame alone.

I would look to get a hook up from the friend selling the Superlight. Make an offer that's fair to both of you and move as many of your HT components to it as you can. You can stay well under your budget going that route. It's definitely towards the XC end of the spectrum tho.

For a new bike you'll be hard pressed to do better than buying a fully built bike from any of the usual suspects, e.g. Giant, Trek, etc. Look at last years bikes over the winter.

David B.
    Thanks - I know it's a tough question to answer - basically asking to boil down the entirety of the forum into a few recommendations.

Regarding the "usual suspects" - any of the specific bikes standout? I've seen the Trance X3 and the Fuel EX8 come up tome and time again. What about the Specialized line? Any of those that fit my budget and are highly regarded?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on the Yeti ASR. The bike is very fast and handles
    great. Right now the Al frames are dirt cheap for what you
    get. Plus they can be built light. It is a win win for you.

Best, John