Omnipotent
    May 2011

New question here. Rebuilding from wreck or Go Pre-owned?

Hello all! So a while back, I got in a wreck bc of some careless walkers, which ended up with me on my back and my HT carbon Trek IN TWO PARTS! I got bruised up pretty bad and haven't rebuilt since... Here is what I'm trying to decide:

1) I would like to buy a quality AM (5-6in) frame, and reuse my old parts (all but frame obvsly), but they are pretty old XT, SR, V-brakes etc...
    ***What specialized tools would I need?***

or

2) Pick up an AM used bike from ebay/forum/where-ever and just get to riding!

My budget would be around $1K-1.2K, but I have found that $1K is cutting it slim on Ebay for AM-bikes, and that 1.2K would've won me any of the bikes I have been looking at (prefs in parenthesis):

Specialized FSR
    Marin Quad-Trail 6.8 (#1)
    Specialized Pitch (#2)
    Rocky Mnt
    Iron Horse
    Foes
    BMC 09' Trail 01 (frame) (#3)
    Giant Trance

Anything in that league would be nice. The problem is, I would love to rebuild from the frame up, but that would mean I would need to get:

130-40mm Fork
    Stem (old one is too long for AM)
    Hubs (for Discs)
    Disc Brakes (maybe levers too)
    Re-lace spokes
    Specialized tools (to put certain parts together)

Rebuilding would end up costing me more than just getting a decently treated AM dually and getting to riding asap!

Any pertinent advice, options, or suggestions are welcomed... Thx!

mtbr member
    Buy a newer bike. Improvements in components alone will make it worth it. Then find a used frame and build yourself a back-up/beater bike with your old components.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I assume you are thinking the MKIII for the ironhorse? Stay away from them, the rear triangle cracks and since they are bankrupt, no replacements are available.

mtbr member
    I have heard good things about the Specialized Pitch, and I can tell you I love my 2008 FSR Expert.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Hey thanks a lot for the posts/advice folks, keep it up! I'm still endlessly searching on fleabay for some deals... The bid prices for a lot of these older (+5-6yr) frames and bikes seems outrageous.

That and getting people to accurately list ALL of the components is like pulling teeth, lol I'm not paying $1000 for something that's not listed in detail, seeesh.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    dub post ignore plz