mtbr member

Rebuilding a KHS XC704r frame

I just purchased a 2003 KHS XC704r project frame. I plan on doing it right and my first thing I want to do is replace the bearings. So I am looking for a place I can get the replacement bearings and the torque specs for the frame, if anyone could be so kind to help me find them?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Try here :www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?cPath=367 -

or your LBS ( local bearing supply ) , most linkage bearings are not propriatary .

mtbr member
    I guess it might be hard to know what bearings I need until I have the old ones in my hand. Unless of course someone knows what they bearings are and the torque specs for everything.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Torque specs are predicated on size and strength of the fastner .

www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorqueNm.aspx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Torque specs are predicated on size and strength of the fastner .

www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorqueNm.aspx
    Except when they are threaded into aluminum or are clamping a clevis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    call KHS and talk to Vince. They sell complete rebuild kits for about $40. All bushings, bearings, etc. They can also get you a decal kit if you planned on repainting that bike.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbeer
    Except when they are threaded into aluminum or are clamping a clevis.

Excellent point . Just use common sense when doing assembly , use Locktite 242 ( the blue stuff ) , you cant go wrong .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    call KHS and talk to Vince. They sell complete rebuild kits for about $40. All bushings, bearings, etc. They can also get you a decal kit if you planned on repainting that bike.
    I do actually plan on painting it. Keeping the back end black I think, and going with one of my favorite color burnt orange in the front. I emailed them about getting the specs and everything, and possibly a original decal kit if they had one. If not they sell generic KHS decals for 12 bucks which would work just fine.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    The frame came today and it looks good. I weighed it up and I only stand to gain 1.5 pounds which is not bad.

I think I am going to keep it the way it is, which sucks because I already bought paint and decals, and basically everything to rebuild it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding a KHS XC704r frame-sdc10500.jpg  

Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why, is everything pretty much okay right now? If so, just put that stuff aside and you'll have it on hand when you do need to tear down/rebuild the frame.

6.07 for a full suspension frame isn't bad at all, good luck with the build.

David B.

mtbr member
    Everything seems fine on it. Its dinged and warn off in some places, but overall I like the color and the design.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    All Done.

Feels a bit odd to ride, such a drastic difference in how it feels. I need to chop some inches of the new handlebar, and I should be good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding a KHS XC704r frame-sdc10501.jpg  

Rebuilding a KHS XC704r frame-sdc10502.jpg  

Rebuilding a KHS XC704r frame-sdc10503.jpg  

Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It looks very sweet, what does it weigh? I'd cut down that steer tube, maybe put a 10mm max on top, once had a set-up similar, wrecked and that thing caught me in the lower part of the chest, hurt for two months. Take care

mtbr member
    I will be cutting the steerer. I had it full length on my last frame, but with the addition of the riser bar I can cut it down, just didn't yet.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    First ride this morning went well. It was just a back road, but it has its share of bumps and the ride felt very nice. I do how ever need a new seat post clamp. The clamp that is on it simply does not go tight enough to hold the seat post where I set it. I am a big guy, and stopping every few miles to raise the seat is going to get annoying. If anyone knows the size clamp it would be appreciated. I have a micro meter somewhere, I just need to find it.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

TRANCER
    Looks great man. I like it
    Ride

TRANCER
    Btw how much did you get the frame for if you don't mind me asking?
    Ride

mtbr member
    I paid $203 shipped, which I was comfortable with. The seller wanted $235 to start with.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r