mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rebuilding 96 Stumpjumper as Full Rigid

I just rescued my 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS Comp from my sister's garage. I want to rebuild it as a sweet fully rigid bike. Can anyone help me figure out if this Surly Instigator fork will fit it? http://www.surlybikes.com/forks/Instigator_pop.html Do I need a threaded fork? Will I need a new headset to fit it? Any other sub-$100 recommendations for rigid forks?

thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    Instigator is not a good fork for that bike as it is suspension corrected for 100mm travel. The stock fork was a Judy XC which would have been 60mm. The better Surly fork would be the 1x1 1 1/8" threadless non-disc. You will not need a new headset unless the stock headset is shot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Excellent info. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You'll want to figure out what your axel-to-crown length is to maintain the geometry. Then pick the fork based on that. Check out Tange, Kona Project 2, and Salsa Cromoto.

I went through this recently with an old Gary Fisher frame, but needed an 80mm suspension corrected fork, I went with the Kona Project 2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You probably want a fork with an axle-to-crown about 415-420. That would be in the neighborhood of the old Judy XC and rigid forks of that time.
    I doubt a 96 Stumpy would have used a threaded fork and threaded headset, but to be sure this Wikipedia page shows both a threaded (quill stem) and a threadless stem. Quill stems were still used at that time on road bikes and lower end mountain bikes, but I would have expected the stumpjumper to come with a newer threadless stem by 96.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.