Thread: Rear Wheel

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Rear Wheel

Just got my new Cannondale 29er last week. Noticed that the rear wheel is a little out of ture. (slight wobble) The shop were I purchased will do a 60 day adjustment of brakes, etc.
    Do most shops check the rim's/spoke's to help with this problem?

Picture Unrelated
    Wheels will need tensioned after a few rides to get them back into true, it's a fact of any wheel really. Those wheels are machine built (I would assume based on experience) and they have a tendancy to release the uneven tension that a machine build can sometimes create. Even hand built wheels that are stress relieved when they are built will need a tension check after a few rides, there's nothing out of the ordinary. The same holds true for your shifting cables, they stretch and will need to have the slack pulled out of them. If you aren't having troubles with the out of true rim I would run it until your shifting starts acting a bit funny.

Also, almost all bikes from the manufacturer will need some sort of truing so your bike shop most likely trued the wheels before it left the sales floor.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    What Zebrahum says. I'll add only that tires can sometimes fool you. Tires are often not perfectly symmetrical. I've been fooled by asymmetrical tires only to find that the rims were fine.

IMHO, make a quick phone call to your shop and ask them about retruing the wheel.