mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rear Triangle misalignment, how much is too much?

Hey guys I need some advices here. I own a Giant Reign X and the rear triangle is misaligned by 3mm toward the non-drive side. Measurement was done at a lbs (giant dealer). When riding I have the impression that I have to compensate for the bike slight tendency to go right. That gets really annoying when approaching jumps/drops.

Earlier this year, the bike was sent to Giant Canada for that same reason but they returned saying the frame was straight.

I guess my question is in your experience, how much misalignment is acceptable/normal for a bike like that. I know getting back at Giant for the same issue would not be easy so your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Bike Geek

bearings

I Guess my question would be if there is any play in the bearings that can be causing the misalignment?
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nope, bearing were changed a couple weeks ago. That did not have an impact on the misalignment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Your LBS (Giant Dealer) should be able to tell you what the factory tolerances are for this and guide you accordingly. IMO 3mm is too much, it's just a hair over 3/32 of an inch...or another way to look at is just a bit small than 1/8"...it doesn't take a micrometer to measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If Giant considers 3mm acceptable, then that makes my current frame purchasing decision that much easier.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

I just let one RIP
    Are you certain the frame is misaligned and it's not the wheel is out of dish? I ask because you said that Giant measured the frame and said it was straight.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The wheel dish was checked twice and it is spot on. The rear triangle is misaligned to a point where you can see without any tool. I don't understand how Giant did their measurement. I wish I could go directly to them but they are 5000 km away on the other side of the country.

I called them earlier this week and they said they cannot warrenty the frame as they didn't find anything wron but they could maybe do a crash replacement.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd
    The wheel dish was checked twice and it is spot on. The rear triangle is misaligned to a point where you can see without any tool. I don't understand how Giant did their measurement. I wish I could go directly to them but they are 5000 km away on the other side of the country.

I called them earlier this week and they said they cannot warrenty the frame as they didn't find anything wron but they could maybe do a crash replacement.
    The only way to accurately check frame alignment is to completely disassemble the frame and put it on an alignment table.

A frame--especially an suspension frame--can look off but still have the important points in the right places: head tube, BB shell, dropouts, seat tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The misalignment was measured at the drop out with the proper measuring tool. I'm still waiting for the LBS to come up with Giant's answer to the crash replacement request. I'll keep you posted.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd
    The misalignment was measured at the drop out with the proper measuring tool. I'm still waiting for the LBS to come up with Giant's answer to the crash replacement request. I'll keep you posted.
    So the frame was measured on an alignment table with the BB shell bolted to a post?

The usual frame tools a shop has are not accurate on suspension frames.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common