mtbr member
    May 2012

Rear suspension design help

I have a 2010 Jamis 650b1 which has a single pivot, nothing special kind of rear suspension.
    I am playing with the idea of upgrading to a bike with a more efficient design. I have just learned about all of the new systems which theoretically remove pedal bob and reduce the need for platform shocks....VPP, maestro, DW, Horst link etc.
    I have not tested any of these and I wonder if I am barking up the wrong tree. I am running a fox rp2 and I don't get any bob in propedal mode when seated. When I stand and hammer, the bike bobs around quite a bit. I'm looking to find a design that will remedy this but logic tells me that none of these systems can do that. It seems like 180 pounds bouncing up and down should be no different than trail bumps to the system. If a system won't react to my weight bouncing up and down, how will it react to a bump?
    So, do any of these new systems actually help with standing and pedaling hard or just smooth, seated pedaling? If the latter is the case, I probably don't need to upgrade.

Thanks,
    David

T.W.O.
    SinglePivot design is just as efficient as other dual mini links if not firmer.
    Descend just as plush too. A few area that SP can improve would be active while braking. Modified sp like trek abp dies exceptional job of keeping the suspension active during hard braking over rough terrain.

Your problem is not the rear suspension design issue but technique. When you stand and hammer on the pedal it will overwhelm any kind of shock instead you should use your core to stabilize your body mass and let the suspension do the job of absorbing bumps on the trail.

650 D1 is a great bike, I love it when I demoed one. I thought the my client exceptionally well, and the geometry is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk