mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Ready to upgrade, now what

First post here though I've been lurking for a while.

A year ear ago I jumped to my first full sus bike. I ended up with a fuel ex 5 which was already over my budget. I bought the bike knowing it came with a decent frame that I could build off of when stuff starts to wear.

Love the bike,coming from a rigid single speed,mountain biking suddenly became more fun.

Well winter is here, trails are closed and now it's time to upgrade some pieces that have been beaten.

My question now, should I start upgrading on my own? Or go to a shop?

I'm not dumb when it comes to mechanical stuff and think I could do it, but not having played with the full suspension much I figure it's a lot more complicated than my old rigid single speed I built up.

Also looking for input on making the fuel ex a little more aggressive. I'm a light rider at 145 and do mainly trail riding,but will be taking the bike out to the mountains come summer. Weight is not as much of a concern(well it is) as wanting solid parts that won't break on me.

For starters I'm looking at.

fork,and with that will come a new front wheel that is not 9mm QR.
    my drivetrain is about dead, my front rings are pretty much junked.

Any other input on upgrades that will make the bike a little more aggressive, durable and fun to ride would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Welcome to MTBR! What year is your Fuel? for a fork it matters on how much travel you want the mechanical aspect should be pretty self explanatory but when in doubt either look it up on the internet or head to your LBS depending on your price range you could go carbon wheel for the fork to reduce weight and drive train if you want more trail worthiness of the bike maybe a double or single chain ring Sram set they are nice a pricey high end one is the Sram X01 which if you don't already know is a 1x11 speed (10-42) or the sram x9

Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    I would say a wheel set is a worthy upgrade; Stan's wheels sets are v. popular and can be made to work with a 15mm thru-axle if that is what you are looking for. For a fork, what is it with your current fork that you are trying to change (besides the lowers to accept a thru-axle)? Lots of choices, probably will be guided by your budget. I personally like Fox forks. On the drivetrain, again, lots of options. Can go 1x or 2x...if you are riding in the mountains, a 2x may make more sense to give you a larger range of gears. If your rings are toasted, you likely need a new chain and cassette as well. On the LBS vs. online/do-it-yourself...its up to you. Online prices are hands-down less but you will need the know-how and often special tools to do the work...plenty of info here and on youtube. Sometimes if you go to the LBS and tell them what you are trying to do, they will give you a good deal and the labor to install what you buy from them.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT