mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Raleigh Mojave 4.0

First off, I should say Hi to everyone since this is my first post.

I, unfortunately, found this site after allready purchasing my bike so I can't do much about that now.

A little background... I got into biking last year when I bought a wally world Mongoose to use as a commuter to work. I'm 6'2 and 216 now (was 225 then) and the medium frame of that bike was undersized but i didn't know any better. Soon after buying the bike I got interested in mountain trails so I tried it out. It worked okay for me, I had a lot of fun and got hooked.

This April, that bike was stolen off my porch. I went 2 months without a bike but then had a serious itch to get back out riding again. I spent all of a week looking at new bikes by Diamondback ( the Response Sport), Trek (the 4300) and Raleigh (what I bought).

I suppose what I'm looking for are opinions on this bike from some seasoned, experienced riders. I average about 80 miles a week (about 30 of it MI trails) and so far its treating me allright. I'm thinking of upgrading to clipless pedals and definitely upgrading the tires (stock Kenda Kwick semi-slicks are so not cutting it on rough steep trails, the front tire will NOT stay planted on my line). The stock Tektro disc brakes are great on paved trails but on the trails they seem to be severely lacking, I don't know if this just pointing at the tire issue ( traction) or the brake themselves.

Anyway, is this bike worth upgrading? Thank you, and again, hi everyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    In my opinion Raleigh makes a really nice bike at a good price, clipless I'd look at the Shimano M520, great pedal to get started with, easy to get use to. The Panaracer Fire xc pro would also make a big improvement and is priced right. The big question of is it worth upgrading, I'd just ride it and replace parts as needed and not sink too much into it. Treat yourself down the road to a new ride as your skills improve, sounds like you could be in it for the long haul. Take care and enjoy yourself, that's what it's all about

P.S. as for the brakes, pads could be glazed, try scuffing with sandpaper or may need a new set. You are a pretty big dude, for the money, Avid bb7s would be a good mechanical stopper for ya.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've heard good things about those pedals, i'll look into them some more.

The Panaracers are also on my short list for tires, I also heard nice stuff about WTB Velociraptors. I haven't priced out either set yet however.

As for my brake pads... I'll try rubbing them with sandpaper a bit but I really don't think they're glazed. I can lock up the rear with 1 finger on paved road and the front with 2 fingers relatively easily. Its just that about a mile into my trails they seem to lose any modulation and either don't slow at all or fully lock w/o much lever action, I really think thats due more to the tires than anything. I haven't looked into BB7's, my short time researching brakes had me looking at Elixir's and Code 5's... any opinion on these?

I don't plan on adding a lot of parts to it, and definitely not before the current setup fails... but tires I figure will be a huge improvement for the riding I do.

I will mention that having riden this bike for the last 8 weeks... I think my next ride will be another full suspension. This hardtail thing is killin' me after 15ish miles in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't really know too much on those brakes, but if ya want hydros , juicy 3 or 5s can be had at a good price if ya look around. I've had good luck with them, Bestbikezone usually has the best price on 3s, I think around 115.00 front and back.

There's no app for this.

on the brakes...

the Tectros are entry level, and I cannot say how well they work under pressure on trails. that said, a replacement set of Avid BB7 mechanicals would work extremely well for very little loot.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/126...ac=16&zmap=115
    Jim

Singletrack Slayer
    To bad you didn't get the Response Sport, Diamondback and Raleigh are the same. The DB has better Hayes Mech discs and they work great. But since you got the Raleigh, nice bike as well, I would go for a good deal on some Hayes Stroker brakes. If you don't want to spend that much go for the BB7s and get a 8 inch front rotor to stop on a dime. I have both brakes and they kick ass.

mtbr member
    The brakes are fine. Ive been riding the tectros for about 2 years. Just need to replace pads about every year.

BTW i have the mojave 4.0.. pretty much they are all exactly the same but the # denotes quality of garbage that comes stock. Ive upgrades quite a few things like fork, headset, handlebars, stem, tires( i have the velocioraptors... Ill sell em to ya, j/k but dont get them. there pretty but if you ride on road they vibrate, and wear fast, then if you ride on trails they have traction issues/ spinning out on climbs) . So yeah. And +1 on clipless, you should get a kick out of that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCain View Post
    P.S. as for the brakes, pads could be glazed, try scuffing with sandpaper or may need a new set. You are a pretty big dude, for the money, Avid bb7s would be a good mechanical stopper for ya.
    I second the bb7s. most awesome cable brakes ever