mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Raleigh Avenger decent bike?

I just started MTBing and don't plan on doing anything crazy other them hitting up some trails a few times a week this summer. Just wondering if the Raleigh I have is safe to take out on the trail and a decent mid-range bike?
    Attached Images Attached Images

AKA Dr.Nob
    "safe to take out on the trail"

On a smooth trail/MUT with no rough terrain it will be fine. I wouldn't trust to on anything rough. The problem is that the wheels, rear shock and fork are of uncertain strength and could fail at any time.

"and a decent mid-range bike?"

Don't kid yourself, that is a department store bike. The bottom of the food chain in the MTB world.

Take it easy and it should be fine.

Oh and lift your seat up, looks like your seatpost might hit the rear shock.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks I moved up the seat. What do you suggest on components to change? (or at least first priority)

beautiful jackass
    Didn't we already cover this?

Easy to upgrade a Raleigh Avenger?

Are you not listening to anything anyone says?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey
    Didn't we already cover this?

Easy to upgrade a Raleigh Avenger?

Are you not listening to anything anyone says?
    Ya I read MY OWN thread, why are you posting the link I know where it is?

I'm concerned about the safety of the bike, I'll spend $75 on a fork or rear suspension if it will be more durable on the trail. Just for your FYI I took all your advice and started saving for a new bike. Doesn't change the fact I'll be riding this one for the next year and want my riding to be enjoyable as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by surfninja311 View Post
    I just started MTBing and don't plan on doing anything crazy other them hitting up some trails a few times a week this summer. Just wondering if the Raleigh I have is safe to take out on the trail and a decent mid-range bike?
    I aquired a brand new avenger frame recently(the only thing on it was the pivot bearings),i then sunk about 1500$ into it ,everything from headset to like everything one can upgrade and i ended up with a bike that tips the scale at just under thirty pounds have jumped it down about eight feet so far had it lodged between rocks alot(new peddles six times this year)either bent or broke lots of parts but the frame is holding good. its heavy enough when i put 26 by 1.25 tires on light rims the wind has no real effect on it.i have put about thirty miles a day on it for the last year,summer winter every day rain shine snow(with knobby tires) about seven thousand miles and had fun doing it .so your avenger frame is good enough for anything you'll throw at it being new at this

mtbr member
    This post is 4 years old, I'm pretty sure the OP (who has not posted since 2010, so he won't be noticing your contribution anyways) got the bike he wanted some time ago.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!