Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

racer x100 or intense spider?

932 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  derby 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting a racer x or a spider.Does any one out there have experince on both these bikes?I would appricate your input.

#2 ·
No exp on either was looking @ both frames to buy, deiciedid on the 5.5. I would have to say the spider would be a good choice just on piviot location alone, How ever the titus has a lifetime warranty and really its a bad a$$ ride.What are your intentions on this ride? Are you going to be pushing it to exstrems? or just a xc ride? You have a big choice to fill, no matter what you get you can't go wrong with either frame.Sorry im thinking about the warranty issue perhaps the titus............

#3 · (Edited)
Titus has 2-year warranty for aluminum front triangles and swingarms, and lifetime warranty for titanium front triangles.

That said the RX provides a firm (not harsh, not plush) ride, its very stiff laterally and handles very well. I?ve been riding one for over 2 years now (2002 model, RX 80 with a 100mm fork) and really like it.

Gui

#4 ·
my .o2

never riden a spider or racer,but had a blur and just replaced it with a turner flux,rode it today and all i could say is this is what i was looking for.with vpp there is always a fight.
chaintension or bump,the harder you pedal the less your suspension will work,the only time i really disliked it was on rocky,rooty tech climbs.the horst bikes(racerx,flux)will climb with no suspension handicap and the flux is amazingly better then the blur at grannygear technical climbing.i would say that overall the flux(horst style)pedals better with no bob or loose of power,with a good shock(rp3,propedal,swinger)vpp defintely plusher
downhill and not pedaling
hope this helps

#5 · (Edited)
hurricane101 said:
I'm looking at getting a racer x or a spider.Does any one out there have experince on both these bikes?I would appricate your input.
I've ridden both and own a bike somewhat similar to the RacerX (Tracer).

I like the RacerX for seated pedaling in rough, techincal terrain more than the Spider. But the Spider is more efficent for hard pedaling on smoother surfaces and would have race use advantage for starts, and passing, and hard pedaling smoother climbs, where most bumps are less than the travel.

The Spider has a smoother small bump feel than the RacerX, but the Spider stalls pedal cadence and stiffens the suspension noticably more in rougher bumpier terrain.

Under the same rider on the same day the Spider would beat the RacerX on a Norba race course. On an all day semi rough trail ride you'd feel a little less tired towards the end on the RacerX.

The Spider is slightly quicker steering with the same fork and sag.

If you aren't sprint racing for a win, the Intense 5.5 VPP has much less stiffening and pedal stall feel than the Spider. And the 5.5 is much more plush with similar handling and pedaling efficency in rough terrain as the RacerX with only about 1/2 - 3/4 pound weight difference.

Try to get a test ride.

- ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.