dgs
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Question about the Schwinn mesa GSD from thebicycleoutlet.com

Hi,

Newbie here - both to this forum and the world of biking as well!

I was looking at the Schwinn Mesa GSD from www.thebicycleoutlet.com

Some of the specs on this bike from the vendor are different from the ones listed on Schwinn's website.

For Ex.
    Shwinns Website:
    Fork: Rockshox J1
    Front Derailleur : SRAM 3.0 31.8 top pull
    Rear Derailleur : SRAM SX-5
    Shifters : SRAM SX-4 dual trigger control
    Brake Levers : Hayes HML-2-finger alloy body
    Handlebar : Schwinn 6061 T6. 32 mm Rise

TheBicycleOutlet:
    Fork: Answer / Manitou SIX w/ Reverse Arch Aluminum lowers
    Front Derailleur : SR / Suntour XCC-202 31.8 dual pull
    Rear Derailleur : Shimano Deore
    Shifters : Shimano ST-EF29-8 Easy-Fire
    Brake Levers : Shimano ST-EF29-8 w/ Jagwire compressionless housing
    Handlebar : Butted Alum. 20 mm Rise, 9 degree bend, 620 mm wide

Does this happen (a vendor repackaging a bike with different componentry from that supplied originally by the manufacturer)?

Assuming that this does happen and are not erroneous specs on the vendors website, which components are better - the one's listed on Schwinn's website or the one's on the vendors website.

If the components listed on the Schwinns website are better, am I still getting a good deal (mid 300 range) from www.thebicycleoutlet.com given the "inferior" (to Schwinn, if it's the case) components? The deal is at around 40% off from Schwinns posted price.

Any info will be a lot of help.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006

2005 Model

I was just looking at that same ad from bicycleoutlet.com... with the same interest over that fairly sweet $350 shipped price.

The bike they display is last years' model for one, and they have very limited stock. After calling them (yep, got a live human in just a couple rings) I queried about assembly and was told that these bikes come approx. 80% pre-assembled and that final detail and small finish items was all that remained. ...am assuming that "dialing in" the brakes, deraillers, etc., is part of the buyers finish work. Keep in mind that any delivery damage or out of box/early/warranty failure issues could add bottom line rain to the sunny price if there are any problemos since it becomes a long distance matter.., plus some local shops will include a first time tune up and certainly will help deal with initial adjustments for the price you pay

I also noted the pretty sweeping difference between components from what Schwinn shows for the '06 GSD and it does seem kinda' dramatic for a model year upgrade doesn't it? I'm sure an e-mail to Schwinn would yield an appropriate reply as to what the '05's were equipped with and whether any "alterations" may have been made.

This operation also shows up as Sports Liquidators with this same bike on ebay. which showed a 99.9 % positive rating FWIW. They also sell closeout ski stuff under another web handle

Put it this way, the components they listed were still a grade level leg up over what's offered on many $4 - 500.00 bikes, noting the Hayes discs especially.

dgs
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I got the bike yesterday. Yes, it is a 2005 model. And there are no swaps. Everything is stock as included by Schwinn (Checked out Schwinns Website for the 2005 model specs and everything matched).

Everything was in order and I managed to put it together.

Handle, Front Brake Cable, Seat, Pedals, Front Wheel and Reflectors was all that was needed to be fitted! Pretty straight!

Front wheel went in without any alignment problems. Front brake cable had to be installed and the rear brake had to be caliberated as well which went pretty smooth as well.

Am having a couple of problems though.
    1. The the deraillers are off and shifting is not smooth. At times, the wrong cog on the rear is selected for the selected gear! Seperate Front and Rear Derailler manuals were included. Am gonna try and take off/reinstall the deraillers

2. When the wheels are seated in place, the brake disc rubs on the "static" brake pad, more so on the front wheel compared to the rear wheel. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the only solution is to give it some time for the pads to be run in a bit!

If I am not successfull with the deraillers, then I am left with no option but take it to a LBS. Adds another $20, but not bad! Still a deal because am in CA and a purchase at LBS in the similar price range would have been another $40over the price anyways and couple of LBSs that I checked out didn't have anything that came close to the specs on the Mesa GSD for the price range! Now am not saying that the Mesa GSD is the best bike out there...but the componentry for the price is decent and hard to find in an LBS at the same price!
    Last edited by dgs; 05-13-2006 at 11:42 PM.