mtbr member

Question about future upgrade-ability for an entry level frame

I have a 2012 Giant Rincon (the link goes to the 2013 model which is similar to the 2012) and was wondering about future upgrades in general for that frame.

Is it worth upgrading at some point vs a new bike? or will this frame or certain frames in general limit the upgrade-ability of a bike?

What do people generally recommend a new bike or upgrades?

Thanks for the feedback!

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's a great way to spend a ton of money getting a mid-priced bike with weird geometry. Just buy a bike that comes out of the box with what you want.

However, I think on any bike worth owning, it's worth getting the fit, contact points and tires right. That can mean different stems, saddles and pedals, and of course tires.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Don't bother. Either ride the HELL outta the bike, or get a lighter frame. Light frame has incredible upgrade potential!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Question about future upgrade-ability for an entry level frame

Depends on your budget. If you don't have tins of money then some simple upgrades can make a huge difference.

Upgrade 1. Wheels. Better wheels and tires are probally where you will notice the biggest difference. Everyone has different preferences but I prefer xt hubs laced to mavic rims. Since xt hubs are cup and come you can rebuild them service them practically forever. I just did a rebuild and with new grade 25 bearings it cost me ten bucks and an hours time.
    That said there are many fantastic wheel sets out there. Mate that with some awesome rubber that suits your riding style/location and you are well on your way.

Upgrade 2: shock. A high quality shock is an amazing piece of equipment. Getting said shock professionally tuned by someone like Push just makes it better. FYI suntour has a loyalty program, you could get a new shock at a great price. It's been talked about on the suspention forum.

Upgrade 3: brakes. If you have disk brake tabs then upgrade the brakes when you do the wheels. If on a budget use a cable actuated brake like a bb7 so you can keep your current levers.

Upgrade 4: shifting and gears. Possibly a 1x9 set up? Many choices there. I just did a upgrade from 3x8 to 1x10 and love it. That with slx level components ran me about 300.00 on amazon .

Bill

It's about showing up.
    Use the bike to learn about riding and maintenance. Replace what breaks. In a couple of years the money you save will put you in a position to buy a higher quality bike or build one to your specs. It is a much more effective method than deconstructing your Rincon, or any entry level bike, and making really small incremental improvements.
    I don't rattle.