mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Problem with my Anthem

I bought a 09 Anthem x2 used size L. The seller notified me that the front frame is brand new with zero rides on it. Later I found out that the bike used to be an XL. He replaced the cracked XL frame with a L frame knowing it would be easier to sell. Problem is the rear triangle is a XL. He said it did not matter that all the rear frames were the same.

Got the bike and it looks great. Problem is it has significant chain rub on the front derailleur that will not go away. I took it to my LBS for a full tune up and he said he could not get rid of the rub no matter what he did. He thought maybe it had an aftermarket crank on it that was not fitting right. It doesn't. It has the stock XT components on it.

So, does anyone know whether the seller was correct in stating that the rear frame would be the same regardless of whether or not the front is L or XL and could this be causing my chain rub since things may not be lining up properly?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I checked with Giant and they did confirm it should not make a difference since the rear frames are indeed the same for all sizes.

So, what could be causing my significant chain rub?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong but all full suspension bike's rear end are all the same size (per each model/ mfger) regardless of the front part. So in other words, an Anthem in an XL would have the same rear end as an XS.

AZ
    banned
    Rear triangle is the same ,it sounds like bottom bracket problem .

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. It also may be that I have a new SRAM chain on a Shimano crank. SRAM chains run big.

mtbr member
    It seems to me that the local bike shop should be able to either adjust the derailleur or check the spacers on the crank by either adding one or taking one out. I had a similar problem after I put a spacer on the wrong side. I would try another shop. The Park Tools website has some more information on setting up the cranks with the spacers.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by khenson
    Thanks. It also may be that I have a new SRAM chain on a Shimano crank. SRAM chains run big.
    really? i run shimano crank and f/d with a sram chain and no problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks everyone. I'll get it to another shop this week.

btw, I love the Anthem. Such a fast ride with the sweet maestro suspension!

mtbr member

I just had this problem on my anthem

my front derailleur chain guide was bent. In my case, either the chain rubbed or the crank arm rubbed. The shop tech bent it back with pliers. worked fine this weekend.