Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    undercover brother

Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please

I acquired a used Transition TransAM frame a couple months back and have it set up SS. The frame is the original white and I'm looking to change things up and I know a shop that does excellent powder coating. I'm looking for a matte/flat color that will compliment mostly white components. The components are the following colors:

- Handlebars/stem (black)
    - Fork (white)
    - Seatpost (black)
    - Saddle (Leather brown)
    - Seatpost clamp (Red)
    - Crankset (Black)
    - Brakes (White)
    - Wheelset (Going to be red hubs laced to black or white rims - depending on the color scheme)

I don't want to end up with an excessively loud bike, but want something different. Can customize to change out hardware (clamps, headset, etc.) to anodized colors. What are some complimentary color schemes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    matte black or grey would look pretty good IMO

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I acquired a used Transition TransAM frame a couple months back and have it set up SS. The frame is the original white and I'm looking to change things up and I know a shop that does excellent powder coating. I'm looking for a matte/flat color that will compliment mostly white components. The components are the following colors:

- Fork (white)
    - Seatpost (black)
    - Saddle (Leather brown)
    - Seatpost clamp (Red)
    - Crankset (Black)
    - Brakes (White)
    - Wheelset (Going to be red hubs laced to black or white rims - depending on the color scheme)

I don't want to end up with an excessively loud bike, but want something different. Can customize to change out hardware (clamps, headset, etc.) to anodized colors. What are some complimentary color schemes?
    White
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    White.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    White.
    Haha I want to get away from the white...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Haha I want to get away from the white...
    White components don't leave a lot of room as far as frame color is concerned. If you said the group was silver then anything goes. Good luck and Shiggy said it best.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Candy-apple red if you're fast enough and got the ba**s to rock it..... Red-ano spokes to seal the deal.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Gray, black, silver/polished with clear coat?

I have to agree with NOT white... just always look dirty to me, and well,... kinda makes me feel like a girls bike when white,.. like the not pink, pink... I know it's a personal thing...

if they will do a custom color mix, I actually saw a car a guy painted and it was a darkish brown but with a higher than normal red in it... was a sweet color.. eye catching without being harsh or loud.. very classy looking.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

undercover brother
    I like the idea of a matte gunmetal grey, with maybe red or orange decals (if I can get those colors from Transition).

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I like the idea of a matte gunmetal grey, with maybe red or orange decals (if I can get those colors from Transition).
    I'm sooo sick of bikes done in neutral colors!! And the red/black/white color combo is so overdone, most of the bikes I see nowadays look like that. Think original like mint green or something more unique.
    You have an opportunity to do something really cool with your bike to personalize it, and make it your own. Don't just make it look like every other bike.

I painted one of my frames with green chalkboard paint, and let my nieces and nephews draw on it when ever they want to. I get an original design whenever they come over!

mtbr member
    Military green

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    My commuter bike, named "Chalkie"

My road bike:

No Stranger to danger....
    GUNSMOKE
    MATTE BLACK
    GREY

it would look the bomb in any of those but look very sexy in gunsmoke....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    like the not pink, pink... .
    No, that's salmon or crayola.

+1 on the grey... gunmetal looks sweet but lighter grey looks nice as well. You could add flakes for originality. I also like orange but its a little loud, I guess.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post

My road bike:
    Nice bikes. Those fish are cool. Did you hand paint them?
    Killing it with close inspection.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I always wanted to paint a bike in 2 different shades of gray, matte clear, like 2-3 levels in darkness apart, fade between colors, and put the darker one on top of all tubes, like down to the middle of each tube or like 40% down and the lighter one on the bottom of the tubes.

Usually there is sun outside and it makes the top of all tubes lighter in color, and this would counteract this. It would look like something no one has ever seen before, since the brain is accustomed to knowing that the lighter shade is always there on top of things out in the sun, and this one would be percieved as one color, the same color even when you have sun above. Inside the fork and inside the rear triangle the color would be signal orange/red/green os similar, like 20% of the circumference of the tubes there.

The gray shades i'm thinking about is like darker than clear ano alu grey, darker than brushed ti, but lighter than dura ace. Like a little darker than zink primer gray or there about. everything else is either matte black, or matte silver, wheels are black with a signal red/orange/green ring about 5mm thick all around. chromed brass nipples, black spokes.

Here have some ideas.

specialized venge, look at the official site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-2011-06-08-08.05.11.jpg  

Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-venge-wallpaper_1024x768_07.jpg  

Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-2011-07-18-08.19.56.jpg  

Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-2011-07-18-08.20.17.jpg  

Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-dsc_0598.jpg  

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Introducing the new S-Works + McLaren Venge

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-hampstenrideready.jpg  

Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-rudge-10.jpg  

Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-lobster-fender.jpg  

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    I'm really liking that green. Reminds me of the 2011 Raleigh RX 1.0 with it's flat green and Chi-Com color scheme.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Did you look here for ideas?
    Prismatic Powders

We (at my company) get a lot of stuff powdercoated. Here's one that I like:

It's transparent blue with a chrome pre-coat. The color changes slightly depending on how the light strikes it. There's also a red, purple, even black version of it too. Pretty cool looking.

Here's more
    Top - black with metal flake, center - clear red, bottom - purple with sparkle (it looks more purple than in the pic).

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-23-2012 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had a frame powdercoated early this year, midnight black high gloss with metal flakes. You can see the bike on my youtube channel under mongoosejake and look for the Mongoose Valiant.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Don't do grey! How boooring!
    This is my Ritchey Road Logic done in candy blue, with starlight sparkle clearcoat:

My custom intake manifold done in gunmetal grey:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Fender vintage white.

or how about distressed aged surf green
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-vintage-white-strat2.jpg  

Powder coating frame - Color suggestions please-surf-green-strat2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

- Fork (white)
    - Seatpost (black)
    - Saddle (Leather brown)
    - Seatpost clamp (Red)
    - Crankset (Black)
    - Brakes (White)

white

mtbr member
    Powder Blue with red or white decals

Something you don't see everyday, but would go well with your white parts nicely and would compliment your small red parts and make them pop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rasta colors, red, yellow green.....Ja mon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast