mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Possible crack; definite flexing

I have a 2004 Ironhorse Hollowpoint that I bought new. It has been a great bike all these years, but now I am afraid that it is flexing and about to crack. I need some help here in recognizing if the paint ripples I see are signs of frame damage. Please look at the pics and let me know what you think.

I do not have access to an x-ray machine, and I know aluminum frames inevitably crack over time due to stress and that they cannot be repaired. I know I will need to buy a new bike/frame at some point, but I want to know if my ride is safe to ride now.

Most of the ripples are on the rear triangle near the weld joints. There are a few on the top tube which I tried to sand, but could not make heads or tails of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Possible crack; definite flexing-image.jpg  

Possible crack; definite flexing-image.jpg  

The Fastest of Bananas
    I had a frame fail at the chainstays. Can you feel it flex or any hear creaking?

Ahhh the pain....
    Are all those issues on the swingarm? The way the paint is rippled all about the same distance from the weld makes me think it's cracked in the heat affected zone. If you've ridden that bike quite a lot since 2004, it's really no surprise it may be cracked. Seems like swingarms of FS bikes have finite lives that most people find the end of unless they're either not riding it much, or get a new bike every year or so.
    I suppose you could put some paint remover on those spots and see if you can get to bare metal. I suspect sanding would just smear the crack surface.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used to have a 2004 hollowpoint. Loved that bike. I got 5+ years out of it before it cracked. No complaints. Your bike is nearly 10 years old. It has had a great life. If you are not comfortable with it, time to replace it. If you are not sure, take the rear wheel off and see if the dropouts have significant flex (it will flex a little with the squeeze of a hand by the way) or if it creaks. Either way, that bike has served you well. For a point of comparison I have had 2 fisher sugars that have had the frames replaced within 2 years. Your IH was not a bad bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    I had a frame fail at the chainstays. Can you feel it flex or any hear creaking?
    I do not feel it flexing, nor do I hear creaking. Is the creaking a sign of a crack?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    I used to have a 2004 hollowpoint. Loved that bike. I got 5+ years out of it before it cracked. No complaints. Your bike is nearly 10 years old. It has had a great life. If you are not comfortable with it, time to replace it. If you are not sure, take the rear wheel off and see if the dropouts have significant flex (it will flex a little with the squeeze of a hand by the way) or if it creaks. Either way, that bike has served you well. For a point of comparison I have had 2 fisher sugars that have had the frames replaced within 2 years. Your IH was not a bad bike.
    Thanks for the advise! I will give it a try. I remember when I bought my IH. I was a little skeptical, but it turned out to have served me quite well.