mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Please Help. Buying Bike For Wife.

Well. I am officially confused after reading so much and need some input.

I am looking to buy a bike for my wife and here would be the breakdown.

-She is 5'2 with an inseam of 27 1/2 inch(no shoes).
    -Looking for a hard tail and prefer disc brakes.
    -We will be riding mostly trails and not anything extreme. We live in South Texas so it is flat but there are some trails but no Mountains. However, we do travel and we might need something that climbs well.
    -NO JUMPS. If my wife gets air then it was an accident and something went really wrong.
    -Prefer Steal Frame but not a must.

Bikes We have looked at:

Cannondale F-3,4, and 5

Jamis

Santa Cruz

Gary Fisher

Specialized Stumpjumper

What is the best bike for someone that is not going to be a serious hardcore rider when it comes to beating a bike up?

I am willing to buy a used bike if that will get me more bike for the money but I am just clueless about this now.

Thanks so much for any input.

mtbr member
    The Jamis Dragon would seem to be the obvious choice for a steel hardtail. I dont think a womens specific design is all that important for a short woman. My second choice would be the Specialized Stumpjumper and it is available in a WSD design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    budget? I'd look at the mid-level Specialized hardtails. If she is light enough I wouldn't think that a top of the line fork wouldn't be necessary.

Bike Dork
    If your wife is 5'2" and has an almost 28" inseam that means she has a more traditional "leggy" female physiognomy. This means she would benefit from a WSD frame design. The concept is if she has longer legs and a shorter torso she needs a bike with a shorter toptube and longer seattube and higher front end. Also most WSD bikes come with wider saddles and narrower bars which if you don't get them when you buy the bike you'll be buying them later.

The Trek 6700 WSD looks pretty good. There are plenty off good bikes out there, but you won't know until you take her to the shop and put her on them. If you check out the archive of the Women's Lounge you'll find a lot more info.

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    If your wife is 5'2" and has an almost 28" inseam that means she has a more traditional "leggy" female physiognomy. This means she would benefit from a WSD frame design. The concept is if she has longer legs and a shorter torso she needs a bike with a shorter toptube and longer seattube and higher front end. Also most WSD bikes come with wider saddles and narrower bars which if you don't get them when you buy the bike you'll be buying them later.

The Trek 6700 WSD looks pretty good. There are plenty off good bikes out there, but you won't know until you take her to the shop and put her on them. If you check out the archive of the Women's Lounge you'll find a lot more info.
    I agree fully.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~