Dec 2011

Plan sound good?

(Warning, total noob)

Well my bike is getting too small KHS Bicycles :: XC204 I want to spend the least money possible (but not get cheap stuff) as I have a ton of other hobbies. So I figured I would get a new frame, and transfer as many of the components onto it as possible then buying parts to fill in the rest.

I want to salvage my drivetrain as I really like it :P. Are there any measurements I need to know from frame to frame? or is it generally one size fits all? (Tried to google it, either its not there or my google skills suck)

At the moment I can't find many good deals on frames at the bike shops around me, so I'm not sure which one I'm getting so I don't know if I can salvage anything else yet

Thanks and sorry for my noobishness :P

mtbr member
    Looks like you've got an entry level FS bike. The problem is that it's pretty spendy to buy a new frame only; especially from LBS. You're much better off selling your bike as is and getting a new one.

The other option is to look on CL for a used bike in your size.

To swap over components, it'll cost you. An LBS would probably charge about $100 in labor. Even if you do the work yourself, you need to buy new brake and shifter cables and housing. Also, your seatpost may not fit the new frame. And you'll need to pay a shop to swap out headset/fork race. So assume $50 in miscellanous parts on top of the labor.

I'm surprised your Dart fork still has life. Or do you not ride that hard? How are wear items like your tires, brake pad, chain, cassette, chainrings? Are any of these pieces up for replacement?

If your outgrowing the bike (getting taller) faster than you're wearing out parts, you may look at Pricepoint's FS frame. That looks to be a pretty good deal.
    Just get out and ride!