Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

pivot mach 4 vs intense spider

I am looking for a new frame. Both frame are on sale under 2k. Anyone test ride both? Feedback? The pivot appears to be about a pound more?
    Thanks

T.W.O.
    I have the Spider, and been on Pivot M4. Pivot is plusher, and just as competent descender. I like my spider, but it's no comparison to the Pivot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

DW vs VPP

Let me add a little more info, I currently have a Maverick and a GT Force. I love the firmness of the I drive systems. I am looking for something a little more cross country oriented for my quiver. A tight handling bike that reacts quickly to a pedal stroke, a bike that is firm when lauching over a log climb.
    Thanks

T.W.O.
    Which maverick do you have? Not that it matter, Monolink climb well, period. You did mention log climb, maverick with slack seat angle I find harder to manual. If you want a bit more aggressive HA for climbing I'd go with pivot.

I own ML8, ML7, Spider, 5.5, Mojo and others. My first suggestion would be the Mojo SL, because of the light weight and handling. You can easily built tge SL, just as light or lighter than your 2 original choices. There are other good choices you may want to consider. Turner flux, pivot m5.

I put the upgrade linkage on the ml8 and ml7 with hammerschmidt, I found that I bring the whole new riding personality to the bike, it adds about 1.5-2 lbs but it's well worth it, also something I want to add to the pot as well

Best is to test ride before you buy if possible. It's good that you have a specific need for your new bike, and it's not climbing trade. Both your bikes climb exceptionally well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Maverick Matic

I have the Maverick Matic. It is built up with a set of stans no tubes wheels, Sram xo twist shift, Xt Crank, thomson seat post, carbon bars, etc. It weight around 26 lbs. My GT is built with sram xo, hope/mavic wheels, Fax Talas 140mm fork. It weighs around 30lbs. Both are great bikes. I have owned a titus motolite and giant anthem. Before those I rode a litespeed hardtail for years.
    I like the Pivot Mach 4 head angle (71) because I will be using a Maverick SC 32 for this build, but I don't like the weight of the frame. My Maverick I believe weighs around 5.8lbs and the Pivot is around 6.5lbs. I was hoping for a sub 25lb build.
    Most of the guys I ride with have gone to 29ers. Epics & Hardtails.
    I am headed to a Trek Demo this weekend just to check out the 29ers. Hopefully, I will not be selling two bikes after this weekend to get a 29er.

T.W.O.
    That's a whole new can of worms Niner,and Gary Fisher is the most responsive I've tried. It's harder for me at 5'7" to test out 29er. I had V1 Rip9. well made and good all around bike.

Back to your OP, I think that you'd like the Pivot. Ultimately you just have to give it a test run and see for yourself. Have fun shopping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    mimi, please, please don't take this as an insult - serious question...

do you ever ride or do you just buy bikes? You have an impressive quiver, most impressive I've seen - ever - and I don't see how one person could have time to ride all of those bikes for as much time as I see you in this forum. are you independently wealthy and not needing to work?

T.W.O.

I'm a chef, and own my own place(s). The nature of the business allow me to ride in the morning, and still have time to come and open my place. In addition, there's basically 2 rushes in a day, which leave some time on the computer. I try my best to do group ride with STR, but sometime it's just not possible, so I had to do solo ride in the morning.

Down side of the slow hours is that I get to shop a lot and I love working on my bike, especially when I can't ride, so I just add a bike to my stable, and the next thing I know, well you know the rest of the story. When I take my vacation that's the month that I didn't buy anything and just ride everyday. Unfortunately, I don't get to do that often, and since I'm not a 9-5er my day off is just sucks for riding.

I pick the bike to ride and usually stick with the same bike for a few rides, then switch. On top of that sometime I swap bike with my buddies so we get a good idea of the handling, it's much cheaper than buying new ones. Although, the buying gets better now because most bikes are so good nowadays, and so does the components, plus I have my favorite.

Beside as if you can't tell, I'm quite naive and believe most marketing hype
    I do wish that I'm independently wealthy and not needing to work, but not still a blue collar labor like the next person There's such an advantage that I only eat out 4 times a month, you know how much it add up to? that's my bike money.
    Last edited by mimi1885; 01-10-2011 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    damn mimi, lucky you. If I had you as a friend, I don't think I'd ever buy another bike...

sounds like your restaurants are fairly successful to boot. keep it up.

T.W.O.
    Thanks M

Regulator, Have you try the Mojo SL? I used to like the flat back XC position with flat bar, now that I've been to the dark side, going to more aggressive XC required planning, mainly long climb. If you want to hit your target weight check it out if you can, at least you have an idea, who knows you may like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Ibis Mojo

No, I have not. Unfortunately the closet Ibis dealer is 5 hours away as with most of the bikes I like. It is hard to leave the house on a 10 hour road trip with a Toddler in the house.The dealers around my area only carry the big brands Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Giant. I do have close relations with all of these dealers so I try to purchase all my gear and road bikes from them. No Pivot, no Turner, no Niner, etc. Most of my research is done on MTBR. I have thought about an Ibis in the past but I decided to save some money and purchase a GT Force frame, which is great.
    I have the bike buying bug because two new trails are being built in my area this winter. We have a lot of flat tight rooty technical single track trails in my area. I excited about the Trek Demo this weekend, I will let you know my thoughts on the 29ers.
    Thanks so much for your help and input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Pivot Mach 4

I got a Pivot Mach 4. I have only ridden it once. So far the bike peddles better than expected. Thanks for all your help. The DW-Link works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

T.W.O.
    Nice bike, Kevin worked on you fork for you? That a sweet looking bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Suspension Experts

Yes, Kevin maintains my maverick.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've just swapped up my Intense Spider XVP frame for a Pivot Mach 4 - all parts changed over except for a new seatpost, headset and frt mech. Set up with Magura Durin Marathon 120, XT drivetrain, Hope Tech X2 brakes and American Classic 26 Tubeless wheelset.

I liked the Intense but always felt a bit underwhelmed by it. It was efficient but always felt a bit low at the front and tall. I just couldnt set it up to live up to the hype that Intenses have. Ate pivot bearings at a frightening rate too.

The Pivot is completely different. The DW link can be run as saggy as you like without squishing thru the midstroke or bobbing - it just feels bottomless. Pump it up a bit for racy stuff and soften it for trail centres. Never need to use the propedal. Its way stiffer laterally than the Spider and its eerily quiet to ride - no bashing or rattling going on, just smooth and quiet. It also feels like it will last forever.

Recommended.

Not Bad
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpup
    I've just swapped up my Intense Spider XVP frame for a Pivot Mach 4 - all parts changed over except for a new seatpost, headset and frt mech. Set up with Magura Durin Marathon 120, XT drivetrain, Hope Tech X2 brakes and American Classic 26 Tubeless wheelset.

I liked the Intense but always felt a bit underwhelmed by it. It was efficient but always felt a bit low at the front and tall. I just couldnt set it up to live up to the hype that Intenses have. Ate pivot bearings at a frightening rate too.

The Pivot is completely different. The DW link can be run as saggy as you like without squishing thru the midstroke or bobbing - it just feels bottomless. Pump it up a bit for racy stuff and soften it for trail centres. Never need to use the propedal. Its way stiffer laterally than the Spider and its eerily quiet to ride - no bashing or rattling going on, just smooth and quiet. It also feels like it will last forever.

Recommended.
    Was it a Spider 2 you had or the first generation? I am currently trying to decide between the Pivot, Spider and others...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nope it was an XVP with 4 inches of travel.
    Spider 2 will be a completely different beast - its not really comparable with a Mach 4, more like a Mach 5/5.7
    With my experince of a 4 inch Pivot versus a 4 inch Intense i would go with the Pivot every time. If i needed a longer travel bike, i would happily buy a Mach 5.

Not Bad
    Thats what i was thinking, thanks though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by regulator3212
    I got a Pivot Mach 4. I have only ridden it once. So far the bike peddles better than expected. Thanks for all your help. The DW-Link works.
    Hi Regulator,

I own a Whyte 19 HT (2005 model with Maverick SC32 fork) and am considering purchasing the Pivot Mach 4 - i see that in your pic you have included your Maverick SC32 in your build. How does it ride with the Maverick fork up front...?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Maverick SC32

Quote Originally Posted by Whyte19
    Hi Regulator,

I own a Whyte 19 HT (2005 model with Maverick SC32 fork) and am considering purchasing the Pivot Mach 4 - i see that in your pic you have included your Maverick SC32 in your build. How does it ride with the Maverick fork up front...?
    I borrowed it off my Maverick Matic, It works fine but I do have a Fox F32 100mm on order. The axle to crown ratio is very similiar to the Fox F120. After talking to Pivot they might offer a build package including a 120mm fork. I believe the SC32 is a highly under rated fork. Very light weight for it's class.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Agreed the SC32 is massively underrated. I am looking hard at the Mach4 (Mach5 discontinued) and Yeti ASR5 as future options, appreciating that they are different travel bikes, still need to ride them both to understand how the dfferences translate.

SIngletrack Mind
    Love to hear an update on the Pivot. I'm in the same boat you were - shopping around. I like the look of the Pivot Mach 4, and would like to support Chris Cocalis. I've been on a Hammerhead 100 (Titus Racer-X with 4" travel) for years. Like it, but would like a firm pedaling platform without losing usable travel. Also on the shopping list - the Blur XC Carbon and Mojo. Still a little wary of carbon MTB bikes, especially on a DW link with all the pivots - and the idea that a single rock impact could kill a $2K frame. I ride in Northern CA - gravel over hardpack, constant rock gardens, XC with a fair amount of climbing.

mtbr member
    I picked up a Spider 2 about a month ago and FWIW have been very pleased with the frame. (Can not compare to the Pivot but can at least comment on the Spider 2).

My goal was a 12/24 hour race bike so I was not looking for bigger hit build (I have a Knolly DT for that). I set mine up relatively light with a RS Sid and mostly 9sp XTR. The build came in around 24.75 lbs.

Frankly the deciding point for me was price (Hucknroll had 50% off intense the last week of December/1st week of January) and I was able to get a Spider 2 with a Float R for $995. I really wanted the RP3 but for the price figured I could live with the tuned Float R and always upgrade if needed.

My initial impression (including one 12 hour race) is the bike pedals well, has quick acceleration, and has a somewhat bottomless feel. I have used full travel but never felt a heavy bottom out. With a 120mm fork it is definitely a racier bike with the 70 degree head angle (considering I have spent the better part of the past few years on a 66 degree head angle frame). On twisty singletrack the bike simply rails. Pointed down, you do need to get some weight back but it is very controllable. I never noticed excess bob (and can image the RP3 would be even better...but will be keeping the float R for now). Climbing I have cleaned some climbs that have giving me trouble on other bikes. While the frame does use its travel it did not feel like it wallowed. It was firm till it needed to be plush. It is not a bigger hit frame. (should be obvious).

I really like the frame. At full price with the float R I would consider it a tougher sell (but not a deal killer) considering the frame weight (my medium with shock was 6.3 lbs) and other bikes on the market (blur xc, ASR5, Pivot). At 80% or less of MSRP it is a great bike and a competitive price..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny
    Love to hear an update on the Pivot. I'm in the same boat you were - shopping around. I like the look of the Pivot Mach 4, and would like to support Chris Cocalis. I've been on a Hammerhead 100 (Titus Racer-X with 4" travel) for years. Like it, but would like a firm pedaling platform without losing usable travel. Also on the shopping list - the Blur XC Carbon and Mojo. Still a little wary of carbon MTB bikes, especially on a DW link with all the pivots - and the idea that a single rock impact could kill a $2K frame. I ride in Northern CA - gravel over hardpack, constant rock gardens, XC with a fair amount of climbing.
    Sablotny,
    I have not had a chance to get my new frame set up just as I want, but hopefully I can give you a full review soon. I am waiting on a new front wheel plus a new Fox F32 100mm 15qr Fork. I can tell you this, I owned a Titus Motolite at one time, (not apples to apples) and I think you will be much more happy with the Mach 4. It has a firm pedal stroke. The Blur Carbon XC was on my list also but I was also afraid of long term fatigue on the carbon frame. Warranties on bike are not very long anymore.
    I also have a Maverick Matic and a GT Force, I am a big fan of the I-Drive Systems. I just wanted something a little more cross country. I test rode a Trek Top Fuel (and all the GF 29ers) and was blown away by the bike. That led me to the hunt for a new xc frame. Their is another Trek Demo coming my way soon, so am excited to compare the bikes side by side.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny
    I ride mojo and SC bltc no issue with carbon, and I consider myself a klutz.

Anyways, when it comes to compare the spider2 and m4 is about plushness because both frame pedal firm already. Pivot sag is more than spider and it feel way plusher. Geometry on pivot is more slack. Choosing XC to me is about the intended usage, if I want one bike to do XC and trail riding I'd go for pivot or maverick(I love maverick) type of frame. But if I want to stay more xc and racing I'd choose racer x, spider, it feel firmer regardless of how much travel it uses. They may all have 4"ish travel but the ride and feedback is different.

The opporsite end of this would be epic, scale or scalpel. They are more dedicated racer not exactly comfortable trail riding type but fly up the hill like they have motor attached.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast