Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Land of the 230+

Painting Vinson - Plasti dip vs. flat black paint vs. gloss white

Not exactly sure which forum to post this in, but I wanted some advice on frame coatings.

I want to paint or plastidip my new Vinson frame before I assemble it. I'm torn between flat black or gloss white, which would match the existing Vinson paint, if it weren't for those embarrassing mongoose logos painted on. I know others have had luck with plasti dip, but the lack of durability scares me. Any suggestions one way or another? Its a cheap winter beater bike, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Dirt Huffer
    For $5.99 a can why not go crazy? It's as durable as you are careful. If you crash or run your bike through brush, it might scratch or possibly peal. But it's easy to touch up by spraying over the area. Plasti Dip is probably the easiest to touch up out of any paint-type product i've ever used. I use the word paint loosely. It's more of a rubberizer

Land of the 230+
    I think I'm leaning more towards true paint. Not that it's a huge deal to strip and prep the frame, but Id rather do it once and do it right.

Now if I go gloss white, chances are any nicks or scratches wont show up because its primarily white underneath.

But if I go flat black, it will match the rims, and the orange strip will really pop.

Decisions decisions. I guess I cant really go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Outside thought, why not vinyl stickers? You can cover the painted logo's with a bunch of stickers, you can use a couple well placed vinyl wraps for large areas, or do some creative pin striping.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Land of the 230+
    That is another thing I had considered, but its such a trivial task to paint it before assembly and have a perfectly clean look. The stickers will always have that big squared off look, especially once some dust gets to the edges. But thanks for the suggestion just the same.

mtbr member
    In that case, assuming the vinson has a solid paint base (no stickers, no headbadge), I'd check out the automotive paint rattle cans. rough up the stock paint with some 1500 grit sand paper (or the red paint prep pads from an auto store) and paint away. Remember to get good pictures of the frame's serial number and any of the manufacturer stickers with the serial number, date of manufacturer, phone number to call, etc...

for color, I'd try to find a pearlescent white or better yet, a silver flake white. In reality though, any paint you choose will be fine because you can touch it up later. The fear of paint chips is there regardless of the color you use. A lot of it comes back to how well you prep the frame and the quality of the paint.

Unfortunately, this will leave you with a solid color bike without a lot of personality. That's the reason I thought vinyl or masking tape/paint with clear coat would work best. I had a dolomite where I took all the stickers off. Looked real boring without anything on it.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Land of the 230+
    My Chiner is all flat, no stickers. I like a clean look. Odd that the Dolomite had stickers but the Vinson is painted on. Or perhaps I'm incorrect in that belief, since I don't have the bike in hand yet. If its a matter of taking the stickers off for a gloss white frame, that's even easier.

I do have a couple automotive HVLP guns, a compressor, filter and regulator as well, but considering the setup and cleanup involved, Ill probably stick with the rattlecan for simplicity's sake.

Magically Delicious
    I saw a bike a while back that had been professionally sprayed with rubberized truck bed liner. Rhino coating or Line-X maybe?

It looked pretty good.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Working in automotive, I see so much plastidip. It looks so bad! I know it has that "tuner" look, but its not an attractive finish. The people I know who arent into the automotive tuner scene see that finish and usually ask whats wrong with the car.

If you have a compressor and gun already, just shoot it with a single stage urethane paint. Its really quite cheap and touchup is easy. A catalyzed and hardened paint is worlds more durable than rattle canning it. Prep and cleanup is the same no matter how you do it.

Land of the 230+
    Well, it's already been rattle canned. Went with a metallic midnight gray (graphite) base and clear coat over it. Yes, a two part paint would have been waaaaay more durable, but I just didn't have the time to drag all the equipment out, set it up and clean it up, then re pack it away. Not for a 5 minute job. If I find myself doing some body work in the future, maybe Ill grab an extra pint of base coat, and strip down the frame again and do it right then. But for now, I needed to get the painting done so that I can get it all reassembled and under the tree so my wife can actually give it to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, everyone.

Land of the 230+
    Got the bike assembled and our for a ride. Unfortunately I only snapped pics on the way OUT of the trail, and not on the way IN so its covered in mud. The only problem I have is how soft the paint is. Maybe over the summer, Ill strip her down, remove all the paint with aircraft remover, and give it a proper urethane lacquer paint job.

Painting Vinson - Plasti dip vs. flat black paint vs. gloss white-20151227_100524-large-.jpg

Painting Vinson - Plasti dip vs. flat black paint vs. gloss white-20151227_100509-large-.jpg

Painting Vinson - Plasti dip vs. flat black paint vs. gloss white-20151227_100502-large-.jpg

Painting Vinson - Plasti dip vs. flat black paint vs. gloss white-20151227_100445-large-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think it looks great!