Thread: Pacific Cycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Pacific Cycle

I know Pacific Cycle is the distributor of choice for many if not all Wal-Mart/Target type stores. If I'm not mistaken, the bikes PC distributes are usually low-end cheapo bikes. Schwinn seems to have taken a dive in quality after being acquired by them. Mongoose (also owned by PC) I understand not to be a hot company either. I just learned that PC acquired GT in 2001. That I have just bought a GT i-Drive, this concerns me, as I think of GT to be a high quality manufacturer. Thoughts/consolations on this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    GT and Mongoose also has the higher end bikes they manufacture. The GT i-drive bike is not made to the same standards as the wal-mart bikes. You, sir, have a nice quality bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Mongoose Canaan Team frame,a very nice higher end frame with a version of the i-Drive found on GT bikes.You can still get quality frames by Schwinn also,but yeah they're mostly found on the lower end now.There's a nice one on ebay with carbon seat stays that looks really nice and well made.

Former Bike Wrench
    Dorel owns Pacific Cycle which sells to department stores and includes Pacific, Roadmaster, Schwinn (low end), and Mongoose MGX lines.

Dorel also owns Cannondale Sports Group which sells to IBD (independent bike dealers) and includes Cannondale, GT, Schwinn (higher end, mostly road bikes), and Mongoose Pro. The bikes are the same quality as other Taiwan and China made bikes that sell at IBD's like Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc.

They also recently purchased Iron Horse and plan to sell middle line bikes under that name to Sporting Goods stores.