mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Opinions about 2013 best trail bike, 4500$ available to buy one!

Hi Guys, I want to buy a new bike, i have available 4500$, this is my list, can you help me to make a decision, out there is to many bikes to choose and I can not demo all because i live in Venezuela.

29er:
    1.- Yeti SB-95C
    2.- Santa Cruz LTC
    3.- Intense Spider Comp 29
    4.- Ibis Ripley 29er
    5.- Stumjumper FSR Carbon Comp

275/650b:
    1.- Scott Genius 720
    2.- Intense Carbine

Thanks for your helps!!!

T.W.O.
    What kind of riding do you plan to do? for the most versatile I'd get the Mojo HD. You can run it 26 or 650b, 140mm or 160mm. Of course you'd need new wheels set, limbo chip, and another shock but it's an available option for later upgrade.

I'm considering a Ripley myself. I already have the Blur LTC, it's good but not as fun as my HD.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i have a 2011 epic comp carbon 26 for XC, i want a second bike, with big wheels with good downhill feelings and don't disappoint me in the climbings!! I'm thinking about the Intense Spider Comp 29

T.W.O.
    Well that's a winner too. I'm just not a big fan any more of XC bike of any wheel size. I have a few that would scratch that itch already my new bike would be the other end. Pretty much Biggest baddest trail bike that can climb. Of course every one is different

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here in Venezuela i didn't see any Intense bike, in my holidays i will go to Florida i will try to demo the Spider Comp 29 to make my decision. last weekend i went to an endurance race i had to walk for a long distance with the epic at my back (11.5 Kg) because the weight i can do it without a problem i dont know if i can do it with the spider comp??

T.W.O.
    That's a missing piece of info there, if you are racing it make sense to get the XC race bike. As for walking with the bike on the back, well I've done about a mile+ hike back up the trail with my 30lbs trail bike no problem. You should do just fine.

Pirate!!!
    I'm the owner of a new Spider Comp, it is amazing! Very good climber. Very plush descender. I'm running a fox 34 140mm with a 67deg head angle.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Out of the ones you listed my personal choices would be the Santa Cruz Tallboy, Specialized Stumpjumper (As much as I despise the brand), and the Scott Genius. The Tallboy would be on top of my list assuming it's the Version 2. The Stumpjumper has some nice characteristics on paper that makes it vert desirable for me. The others are ok. The least favorite of the bunch would probably be the Yeti.

Pirate!!!
    Have you owned all of the bikes that you mentioned? This thread really should be in the 29er forum. There are some very knowledgable guys over there

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    Have you owned all of the bikes that you mentioned? This thread really should be in the 29er forum. There are some very knowledgable guys over there
    ok, i own an 2011 epic carbon comp but i wanna a second bike with larger wheels to ride in XC / medium Trail ride conditions (high climbs, fast descents with some drops) prefer the fun over the fast!!!

T.W.O.
    Again, if you prefer fun over fast why look into another XC bike. Sure you have tried another Specialized FS models in Venezuela, your friends perhaps. If you hop on the enduro or FSR it's surly more fun on the descend than a race specific bike like the carbon epic. I don't own a carbon epic but I owned 2, S-Work epics. They are good racing bikes but not so good trail bike.

Do yourself a favor demo whatever bike you can before you buy.