Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Opinion on this bike? K2 Zed 4.4 - SMU

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  wolfgang8 
#1 ·
Hi all - I am seeking an opinion on this bike. I found absolutely no information on the bike before buying it. So I walked around the bike with pen and paper and listed out each component. I got it for 325 - did I get a good deal for what it is? I'm pretty new to biking, and will be using the bike mainly for both paved and dirt trails. I will push it, but nothing too extreme.

Check out this thread in the K2 forum that I compiled:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=534357

#2 ·
I'd hate to reply to my own post, but I want some opinions of possible: Here are the specs so you don't have to go clicking through forums:

Overview: 24 Speed, Aluminum Frame XC Bike

Frame: 6061 Aluminum
Fork: RockShox Dart 1 (w/ pre load)
Stem: Aheadset VP A42E
Brakes: HB MX4 Disc Brakes
Shifter: Shimano ST-EF50L
Front Derailer: Shimano C050
Rear Derailer: Shimano Altus
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG30-81
Tires: Innova Tires 26" x 2.1"
Saddle: WTB Speed V

Is this thing decent for somebody just getting back into biking? How does it compare to other entry level bikes? Based on the components, and assuming the frame is the same as the others in the "Zed" lineup, what do you think is a good price to pay on something like this?

#3 ·
Its probably a pretty decent bike for the price. The shock and the saddle are pretty decent. I havent seen a picture of it but it really doesnt have anything in common with the Zed 4.0 that Performance has been selling for the past year for $700. The best comparision bike would be the Forge bike thats selling for about $380 or so including shipping. Next time you are at the bike shop have them put it on a scale. The forge 17 inch bike I think weighs exactly 32 pounds. I think if your bike is lighter it would indicate some good value. The Forge does have 27 speeds. No reason you cant go out and ride hard for the next year or so and figure out what you want in a higher end bike.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply... The Forge you mentioned was on my short list, as well as the Hardrock. The Forge wen up in price to 399 the day before i went to go buy it, and free shipping went away, so i didn't buy it out of principal.

The derailers on this thing are the same that are used on the Hardrock, but the base model Hardrock is obviously more expensive and lacks disc brakes. The forge has Deore derailers though which i think is a step up from what I have here.

Since it is from a big box store, i feel like I should take it to the shop to get tuned... but then again, that would eliminate any money i saved by buying this over the Hardrock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.