Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

One Giant Reign X for two riders. Sizing question.

767 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kenda 
#1 ·
Hello!
I`m going to buy giant reign X1 for my girl friend. Also i want to use it as my second bike for light fr/mini DH. I`m 5'11"-6'(182cm) and she is 5'7"-5'8"(172cm). The problem is in bike sizing. Help me please, what size should i get: S(16") or M(18")?
Thanks a lot!

#3 ·
Yeah, i think so too. But my local bikeshop says that they have sold all M reigns and i can buy only S-size that will fit us perfectly. And now i think should i buy S-size now (it`s very tasty price on it) or try to find something else, maybe used one. :(

#4 ·
I cant imagine riding a small bike and I am almost the same height. Also for your girl friend small usually tops out at around 506. So its close to being too small for her. You sure you want a Reign? A Trance would seem to be a better compromise since you are already compromising a little on the size. If you let her pick the bike which I think is a good idea you might be looking at an Anthem. Two bikes might be a better solution with the FR bike being something like an older Giant AC.

#5 ·
borregokid said:
I cant imagine riding a small bike and I am almost the same height. Also for your girl friend small usually tops out at around 506. So its close to being too small for her. You sure you want a Reign? A Trance would seem to be a better compromise since you are already compromising a little on the size. If you let her pick the bike which I think is a good idea you might be looking at an Anthem. Two bikes might be a better solution with the FR bike being something like an older Giant AC.
I already have Norco Shore 06 and use it for FR/DH. My girl friend wants to ride with me, so she needs a bike for mini(micro :)) dh, little drops and kickers (1-1.5 meters high i think). But also she doesn`t like heavy bikes like my norco. :) So i have done some market research and found giant reign x as perfect bik for it. It has 67 HA which is bearable for dh, it`s lighter than my norco, x1 has a good setup and a good price for me. Also i want to ride some dh/fr in the mountains next year and she wants to go with me, so her bike must survive it. :)
At the same time i want to use her bike as light analog of my shore sometimes. But it`s not the main goal.

I was also looking at Specialized Sx Trail, but it`s to expensive for me.
Trance and reign (not x) have HA about 69, so i think it`s not very good for light dh in mountains. Maybe i`m wrong..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.