mtbr member

Which one, first FS bike ? (yes another one of these threads)

OK, first off, I did read several threads about this topic. Especially the ones with bikes I'm interested in. HOWEVER, it seems like everyone on this forum is 6-0 and built like a gazelle (less than 200). No fat jokes. I'm 5-8 and 220. I get it, I'm not tall and I need to loose weight. Enough of that. Oh, did I say I have kids, two in college, so please keep your carbon fantasies to yourself. I have a Focus Blackforest HT, with LX build, tubeless 29er. Love it, but now want to buy my first FS bike. I ride in the So Cal area, love single track, trails, and don't mind the climb as long as it has a reward. SO, I'm looking at the Santa Cruz 5010 (M/alloy) and the Santa Cruz Tallboy Lt (M/Alloy). I'm trying to get a demo in, but no luck yet. I have looked at the Lt and it seems a tad tall. Also looking at the Norco Sight 7.2 and Kona Process 134. Please provide any suggestions. Love the sport, lost 37 pounds this year and hope to keep it going. Thank you for your input in advance.

T.W.O.
    I'm not a big fan of 29er, but the Tallboy LT is just an awesome bike. That said you'd probably love the 5010. It should kick a$$ on all of the trails in Socal.

I ride all the trails with pretty much every bikes I have and in all wheel sizes. 650b is definitely great but nothing beats a good ol' Fs 26er when it comes to fun factor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of 29er, but the Tallboy LT is just an awesome bike. That said you'd probably love the 5010. It should kick a$$ on all of the trails in Socal.

I ride all the trails with pretty much every bikes I have and in all wheel sizes. 650b is definitely great but nothing beats a good ol' Fs 26er when it comes to fun factor.
    Thanks. I'm leaning towards the 5010. I should have added that I'm turning 50 soon. So I think a 26 will require ultra quick input for the handling.
    Last edited by missionimpossible; 12-16-2013 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Congrats on getting stoked on the sport and for your accomplishments this year! Those are all sweet bikes. I think the 5010 will be awesome for you. I'm thinking about one myself. Good luck!

29ers Forever
    Yes, the 5010 looks sweet.
    5010 | Santa Cruz Bicycles
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

AZ
    banned
    You really need to find a way to ride them, either of the Santa Cruz choices would be great but test rides help get rid of the chaff.

mtbr member
    First off thanks again for the input. I'm sure most of you on here are tired of the same question over and over again. But trust me, your input is greatly appreciated. Even getting a demo ride can't answer all the questions. Like I said, most here are highly skilled, that can ride on the edge and heal quickly. I had my fair share of broken bones when I raced motocross. I'm gonna try and keep that off the radar. I'm looking for a bike that can do everything. Doesn't need to win the race just finish it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yes, a test ride is a must. NOTB lets you test ride demo bikes they have, but they are not a SC dealer. They do have some fine alloy FS 29ers, and almost as importantly,. there is a handy test loop right out their door in LPQ preserve.
    There's stil actually some legal singletrack out there, so yer in luck with a demo from them.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Yes, a test ride is a must. NOTB lets you test ride demo bikes they have, but they are not a SC dealer. They do have some fine alloy FS 29ers, and almost as importantly,. there is a handy test loop right out their door in LPQ preserve.
    There's stil actually some legal singletrack out there, so yer in luck with a demo from them.
    Aside from a warranty issure that dragged out a lot longer than necessary, I'm extremely happy with my Ellsworth Evolution 29er.

I've been 60 for quite a while now, and like you, I have more than my share of trauma, from other activities. Suffice it to say that I have way more than my lifetime quota worth of 'retained hardware' and other bits of sharp foreign metal bits lodged in sketchy places to warrant anything more than an efficient, good handling FS 29er.

Tell Doug and Mike that 'Ray' sent you!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.