mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Smile older motiv from costco 7005 series aluminum frame (worthy upgrades?)

Hi all I have an older motiv with a 7005 series aluminum frame 19". I heard these were actually pretty descent bikes and I would like to know of what tools I need and what I should upgrade on this bike.

I'm basically a noob born again bike rider and I do wanna hit some jumps otherwise how else can I practice jumps without even trying right? lol. I'm a pretty heavy guy btw @ 270 lbs with coat on and 5' 10 3/4" (probly 6 foot with certain shoes-boots on).

If the 7005 series aluminum frame isn't strong enough for my size to be doing bigger jumps (12-17 ft for now probly) can I at least make some worthy upgrades on it for now so that later on the upgrades can be swapped to a stonger frame?

Oh yeah and I'm especially wondering about brakes. The front brakes seem great but the rear ones prevent me from being able to skid and they just slip along the rim. They work fine but I would prefer enough brake power to lock the rear wheel completely when asked. Oh and I don't want a messy hydraulic system either. If there's disc brakes that don't use hydraulic fluid that would be awesome.

Thanks for the great help

Are we there yet?
    You probably should check in the Clydesdale forum for answers to your concerns on what bikes can handle your weight and intended use.

Your rear brake should easily be able to lock up the wheel. If yours can't then it needs to be serviced. Check the brake forum or see a bike shop.

Yes, you can get discs that are non hydraulic, and all but the cheapest ones will work well when set up properly.

Welcome back to cycling and let us know how it goes!

There's no app for this.

that bike is a classic

Dept Store special; go to the beginner forum and read the sticky post on Dept. Store bikes. It likely also came with a sticker that said not to ride it on technical trails and not to do any stunts.

Upgrading: best would be to sell it and buy a bike that is designed to perform for your needs and wants. Motiv is a shiny, heavy, non-performer that isn't safe to ride anywhere but on the road or flatter trails, IMO.

Jim