mtbr member
    Mar 2011

older frame vs new bike dilemma advice

hi all

im very new to the mountain bike world..and trying to absorb everything i can. im planning on getting my first bike soon. i was gonna get the 2011 felt q520 and then i can across this "05 norco vps shore"..the seller says that the only thing original on the bike is the frame and the fork, the rest of the parts he says he bought new and builted up the bike.. im trying to look up on more info on VPS (variable point suspension), but cant seem to find any real info on it..can u guys tell me what u guys know about it. anyways..i read more on the norco and people said that it was a good bike..but that was 5+yrs ago. i was wondering if the bike (frame) will b good today. some of the things he bought for the bike are as followed:

Front fork- White Brothers DH2 major travel
    Rear Shock- Fox Vanilla RC
    Rear derailleur- Sram X-7
    Brakes- Hayes Hydro Stroker Trail (8 inch front rotor)
    BB- Race Face.
    Seatpost- Thompson Elite
    Front Rim- Sun Ringle ADD
    Rear- Arrow Rim with Axiom hub.

anyways..do u guys think its worth getting a frame that is +5yrs old and im not a mountain bike tech so im not sure how good or recent these parts are (ive read on some of the parts and they get decent reviews). duel suspension r kinda heavy, how good are they going up trail hills? on regular trials? i will probably just ride the bike on weekends and plan some riding trips here and there. u guys think i should get a cheaper bike and work my way up the mountain bike food chain or should i just get a used duel suspension right away....i would like to do more than just riding on trials some day...if u where this situation, would u get a new bike that cost less or an older bike that cost more? hes asking 850-900$. anyways, any information will help alot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Those two bikes are so different that it's difficult to even compare them. You're basically looking at a new entry-level hardtail that is appropriate for the type of riding you are describing, versus a much higher-end bike that is used and is not really appropriate for the type of riding you are describing.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ah..ok...i think i just had a eureka moment..