mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Old specialized rockhopper

Hi, I found a specialized rockhopper on craigs for 135 and I'm not sure if it is a good deal. The pictures are pretty small. All I can see is that it does not look like a recent rockhopper (from the googles!) and the owner says 1993-4. Can someone give me an opinion?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you just want a bike for a singlespeed project or for a commuter, that might work. I just looked at one almost exactly like it 2 days ago. It is a mid-90's from what I can tell. If you are wanting a bike to actually go mountain biking with, I think you would be better served to wait and get something newer and that has a decent suspension fok instead of that rigid fork. Others may disagree, but I wouldn't get it except for very limited purposes and then only after I already had my main ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As shockfinder said, it depends on what you plan on doing with it. It looks early 90s to me. If it's in good shape and you just want to ride it around town or some light trail riding, it's not a bad bike. It probably cost about $500 new 15 years ago. It was a step up over the entry-level Hardrock. My guess is that if you offered him $100 he would probably take it. I wouldn't say it's a great deal at that price, but if that's the kind of bike you want, it's not a bad deal.
    Don't even think about trying to upgrade it to make it more modern. The geometry couldn't handle a modern suspension fork and the fact that it has a 1 inch threaded headset means you really couldn't find a decent fork for it anyway. The most I would do with a bike like that is clean it up, lube it, put on some new tires (I always put on new tires) and maybe some new brake pads.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member

It looks closer to a garage sale bike that typically someone will pickup for about $15 and then try to resell on Craigslist for $150. The bike has maybe a 23 inch frame so you need to be about 602 or taller. Start looking at the size of the bike first and then start checking the prices.