mtbr member

old FS XC frame for grass slalom/pump track bike?

I've got an old ('06) GT I-Drive 4 frame, and after giving grass slalom a try a few weekends ago on a buddy's P bike (and subsequently crashing and breaking my clavicle/concussing myself), I decided to try and repurpose my old bike as a grass slalom/pumptrack bike. I know it isnt a typical (or recommended) use of an XC frame, but as a race-only/very-limited-airtime (>1', smooth transitions, etc) bike, would it likely be ok, at least until I can get a proper 4x/slalom type bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

T.W.O.
    Yeah, sounds like a fun bike. Are you running single ring in the front?

mtbr member
    I was going to run it singlespeed to save weight and complexity and cost (one less shifter/derailleur to buy and set up)
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    As long as the jumps aren't massive and have good transitions (which you actually land on), the bike should be good for a little while. Just be smooth!

However, you might be better off just selling the frame for a couple hundred bucks and buying a proper hardtail dj frame. Shouldn't cost any more, and you won't have to worry about snapping your frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a similar bike i am intrested in trying to build up for aggressive trail riding and jumping. The bike was free . But before I go crazy on it i want to know if its worth it. Or should i go buy a new bike? Any advice would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old FS XC frame for grass slalom/pump track bike?-558152_3281161237284_1216787578_n.jpg  

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior737 View Post
    I have a similar bike i am intrested in trying to build up for aggressive trail riding and jumping. The bike was free . But before I go crazy on it i want to know if its worth it. Or should i go buy a new bike? Any advice would be great.
    I guess, define aggressive trail riding. OP is using his as a slalom and pump track bike no hard landing I think it would do the job.

Rough trail and aggressive riding may exceed its limit.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Always a good project, one to use what you have and it will teach you the pluses and minuses of the ride... go for it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Slightly Defined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old FS XC frame for grass slalom/pump track bike?-422204_3335691160498_929785708_n.jpg  

old FS XC frame for grass slalom/pump track bike?-620591_3335694720587_1263673941_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You should consider to change the fork in the first place Old judy with elastomer should not be treated with that ammount of air

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a set of 140mm deuces but they dont fit the headset 1-1/8 on bike / 1.5" steerer on forks. I want to press out the steerer and cromoly weld in a new 1 1/8" steerer kit in the crown. Im worried about over heading the shocks. I was thinking about dismanteling them first.Before I weld the new steerer into the crown. Almost the same as a kit for a lefty fork headset conversion. My friend says its do able but its probably not the safety. Im a good fabricator and mechanically inclined so i think its not out of the question. Besides I would trust a proper weld before a cryo press fit any day. I also want to upgrade the raer shock but I'm unsure on what to buy? Do i judge it on shock length from eyelet to eyelet and coil size? Any help would be great. I wanted to start a thread and I just didn't have enough posts yet.