mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Oh no, not another which bike to buy thread!

Ok, I've seen (and read) so many of these I never thought I would post one. Having said that, I'm truly torn and could use some input from others.

First about me. I've ridden mtn bikes for years but my last serious ride was a 26" FS bike. This bike was great for the very hilly and technical East Coast single track. I've since moved to Minnesota and have different trails. I sold the FS bike and purchased an Al 29er that I rode briefly before selling due to lack of use. Now a buddy has convinced me to give mtn biking another try. I will mainly ride road, but will hit the trails a couple times a month and will throw in a race or two a year.

During my very short time with the 29er, I liked the way it took the edge of the trail, but found the handling a little lacking and not as fun to ride as a 26.

Bikes I'm considering:

Sette Serum Pro Carbon (full XT) $1699
    Giant XTC Composite 29er 0 used: $2500 new: $3200
    Cannondale Flash Carbon 2 or 3 new: $3500 and $2800

The Sette seems like a great deal, but I'm a little concerned over comfort. The other two look great, but cost quite a bit more and I'm not sure they will be as fun to ride as the 26. Any thoughts or other options I should consider?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    buy component and build the bike by yourself that may help reduce some cost, but great gear...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

hijacking thread

Sorry, but I'm new and can't make a new thread, so I'm going to post here because I'm having a similar issue. I'm looking for a general everyday commuting/exercise bike. I'm not a professional rider or anything. So, I'm trying to figure out what to get.

Is this bike any good?

performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10054_10551_1115321_-1_400306__400306]2012 GT Zum City Bike -- Performance Exclusive - Road Bikes

I can't find any reviews on it or anything.

OR should I go with this vintage nishiki that I found online:

i.imgur.com/4lgGp.jpg

It seems like it's in good shape. Here are the details:

Late 80s classic Nishiki MTB, rebuilt with period parts. 4130 cromoly frame (17.5 c-to-c) and rigid fork with forged dropouts. 18-speed drivetrain (Exage Biopace crank, Mountain LX front derailleur, Deore rear derailleur), Joytech hubs, Araya rims, Deore thumb shifters, Dia-Compe SS Mk-II brake levers (upgraded!), NOS skin wall yellow tires and yellow trippy grips. 100% ready to ride, Free shipping.

Thanks

mtbr member
    29 if you have a very good physical condition and can move the 29 size tire and you are going to do race xc if not I would stick with the 26 or 27.5 the 29 is more like a road bicycle for the mountain the 26 is a better all rounder