mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Not sure where to start...

So Im new to mtb. I ride dirtbikes and was looking for a fun way to work on cardio... Now im hooked. I was going to buy another dirtbike but Im strongly considering a mtb instead. I'll probably have right around 1500 to spend maybe a little more. I'm currently on the road for work and wont be making any big purchases untill fall. Im wanting some time to chew over my options before making a decision.

I will be riding some dirt/mountain roads, mostly single track and downhill. Ill be out in arizona, so lots of rocks. I want to be able to do both up and down hill.

Im riding a trek 3 series 16" which is what lit the fire, but i want something better to get a bit more serious about it. Ive riddin my friends gt backwoods, with no suspension and it was roughly 23" which was way too big for me, i liked the feel of the 16" alot more.

Im 24 about 5'9" 165lbs.

I would really like full suspension.

I don't have much expirence so i dont have much preferance as to a brand much less a specific frame. I am open to buying online or at a local shop. Ive considered used but i am slightly sketched on gettin someones beatdown crap with out realizing it.

Im open to any and all suggestions as it is just more for me to read while im in my hotel for work. If more info from me is needed ill gladly spill my guts lol. thanks guys

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Check out companies that you are interested in and try to find if they are doing a demo truck near you anytime soon. This spring I was able to test ride on the trails I ride, quite a few different types of bikes and narrow down my next purchase. You can only get so much from others opinions and research. I had an idea of what I wanted and that completely changed after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thnks joytron! Ill definetly try to find some demos. I dont think that should be too hard as I will be up and down the east coast for the next 6 months. The only problem is i wont be riding the terain I am buying the bike for. I suppose I'll keep checking around diferent LBS to see if they can point me in the direction of a demo. I would really like to put my own bike together, but I have a feeling that would be dificult to do within my price range. Also am i going to be able to get a decent fs for 1500? Ive ridden cheapo depo fs bikes and i understand why they are not a good choice...

So far brands I would say i like just from my bit of research would be gt, cannondale, giant, and trek. I've also checked out some fezzari's, kona, and sette. The problem is i dont know enough about components to know what to look for. Im gonna keep reading, and hopefully do some riding as well, but all in put is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For that price range I'd look at a Santa Cruz Superlight or Heckler. Granted these will be very basic builds and are right at your budget limit, but they are fantastic simple frames that will grow with you. Only thing you need to decide on is the amount of travel you want. Superlight is more XC focused and the Heckler is more trail/all-mountain.