mtbr member
    May 2013

Not sure what to do with my bike.

I just joined this website today so I apologise if I post this topic in the wrong Forum.

Okay, I'm going to state that I own a Giant Yukon FX (2013), I'm 14 and I'm 5"7 (170cm). 9th grader, income 30$/week (mowing neighbours' lawn). I also live in Hanoi, Vietnam, but my uncle can ship me things from the US.

After 2 months riding this bike, I found that I'm rather unhappy:
    - Fork: I don't think the Suntour XCM V3's absorbing any shock for me. I want to buy one of RockShox's forks. Any suggestions?

- 8 speed: sometimes, all I want is some speed on the road. How do I change from 8 speed to 9 speed? What bike parts do I need to switch out?

- Brakes: I've always loved mechanical, I can control 'how much' I want to brake BUT on descents I feel a bit unconfident. I want to switch to hydraulic. I heard Avid's Elixir 1 is quite good. Any suggestions?

- Saddles: I've been saving up for an Adamo Prologue. I got it for cheap from one of the guys at school. Any better saddles? I tried the saddles and they're really comfortable when I cruise around town.

- Derailleurs/Crankset: As mentionned before, I want to switch from 8 speed to 9 speed.

Please note that I'm not a guy who only aims at performance and I want something that's in the middle of 'comfort' and 'perf' and that's also reliable.

MOST IMPORTANT THING: I'm on a budget. 14y/o. Working for money, parents are probably giving me a small amount.

Thanks!

T.W.O.
    Fork-Fox or rockshox is good look for good deal on a 100mm travel. Usually a last year models are much cheaper than newer year at about the same function.

8 to 9 spd- Switching to 9 speed would not give you more speed, just more closer range between gear. For example, a 11-32 on both 8 and 9 speed offer the same low and high ratio, the only difference is 9 speed has one more gear and would make it easier for you to find more comfortable gear to pedal. Same would apply to 10 spd.

Hydro brake-Avid is ok, most of the time it's a hit and miss, some people complain about noise and vibration. If you are in SE Asia, I'd just get the Shimano SLX brake. Shimano is much cheaper there than in the US.

Saddle-That's up to you. If you find one that you like the go for it. In general the more you ride the smaller/narrower saddle you'd preferred.

Derailleur-Again, if you are looking for more speed switching from 8 to 9 is not going to solve your problem.

I'd say just change the fork and brake, may be saddle leave the rest alone.

I switch from 9 spd to 8 spd on my Ti HT, I like the improved shifting performance.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    mimi1885 is right. Focus on replacing your fork and brakes. My bike has an 8spd configuration, the way I see it, you eliminate redundant gears. I'd stick with a 2x10 or in your case 3x8. A Fox fork will give you the best performance at a higher cost. Consider a good rock shock like a SID or Reba. Like mimi1885 said, you can get a great deal on "last year's" model somewhere.

Cycle Psycho
    You could stay mechanical (since you like them) and just get larger diameter rotors with some Avid BB7's. Since you're on a budget, you won't have to mess with bleeding and fluids - and cable is cheaper than hydro lines. I run 8" (203mm) on the fronts and 6" (160mm) on the rears and even though people think I'm retarded, I can stop on a dime, pulling a loaded trailer down a steep mountain.

T.W.O.
    Going bigger on the rotor(s) is a good idea as long as your fork can handle it. I know Yukon FX is a 100mm travel at most it can only handle 180mm rotor without warranty issue. While you can always have more power but it can also lead to finger fatigue if the brake is too powerful and have less modulation.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you guys for replying. mimi1885's reply was exceptional.

Now I guess I have to work extra to get the forks asap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I wouldn't go any bigger than 160mm rotors for the brakes. Especially since we are talking about a 100mm XC level bike here. I'm gonna guess that you don't weigh that much, since you are only 14 - even more justification to sticking with 160mm rotors.

As for hydraulics brakes, I would go for a used set of Shimano XT level brakes, they'll set you back about $60 to $80 on eBay in the US. Changing from mechanical to hydraulic will give you a much more noticeable difference than switching rotor sizes.

For your front shock, look into how much Manitou Minute Expert shocks cost around your area. They sell for $280 here in the US, but since they are made in Taiwan maybe you can snag one for less.

I would stick with the 8 speed for now considering your budget. Focus on the upgrades that you will notice the most.

mtbr member
    Here is another fork option for you:

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Here is another fork option for you:

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    I was going to recommend a suntour upgrade. Either the raidon or the epicon. I agree worry about your fork and brakes first. After that you might look at the rear shock. I am not sure how good the giant shock is.