mtbr member
    May 2014

Northrock XC6 Vs. Diamondback Response 2013 Which is better?

My friend and I are having an argument about who's bike is better and decided to take it to the forums to hear your opinions and settle it. He's assuming his is better because of where it was bought (He's not very big on bikes). We're not taking into account brand reliability or reputation. Please don't say they're both good bikes because I want to know which is better. I know it's childish, but that's how we are. We're judging it by component quality and how well you'd think they'd perform. Diamondback: Diamondback Bicycles - 2013 Response
    Northrock: http://www.northrockbikes.com/mountain-xc6.php (the link doesn't work for me but I can find another one) Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    They both use the same Entry level components...they both have the same XCT fork

One costs more than the other due to the name..You always pay a premium for a name brand...if it had specialized stickers on it it would be a 500-600 dollar bike.

Diamond back goes way back...Northrock is a company that just builds bikes for Costco however they do typically equip bikes with the same parts you find on a 500-550 dollar Local bike shop name brand bike...even walmart and target are doing this now on selected models

I guess if you feel the name means the frame is better ( in some cases this can be true) ;then the Diamond back wins this one...If you don't then the northrock wins this one by price.

Either bike is sold in venues that you really shouldn't trust assembly wise unless it was from a bike shop...I have heard though that the Costco mechanics or automotive section is who assembles the northrock bikes...but keep in mind a whole bunch were found with the forks assembled backwards..They aren't bike experts..lol

None of them stand out so much over the other (except price) that there is a clear winner in my opinion...Get the one you can afford...make sure its assembled properly and enjoy it.
    2014 Motobecane 550HT
    2013 Mongoose XR200

mtbr member
    Both are good for light duty trail riding and both more capable with upgrades but nothing extreme; as with any entry level bike shop brand.
    2014 Motobecane 550HT
    2013 Mongoose XR200