mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Noob questions...

Hey Guys,

I have an 07 Trek 8500 that I really love but I found the ebay carbon frames so for $330 shipped I couldn't say no to at least giving it a try. I plan on swapping over most of the components that I can and hanging onto the 8500 frame in case the china carbon frame doesn't hold up or I don't like it.

I am wondering what you guys suggest I do about front derailleur and bottom bracket. The taper of the seat tube into the BB starts high enough that I can't slide the front derailleur down far enough to get it into the right position. Am I going to have to go 1x9? Or is there a way around this? (see picture below)

As for the bottom bracket, I am wondering how you guys typically orient your spacers. I have a Shimano XT external BB (68/73 mm) and the BB on the frame is a 68 mm, so I will need about 5 mm of spacers. What size and quantity do you put on each side? To get the spacing from the frame to the lowest cog correct, I was figuring about 2.5 on the drive side and the rest on the non drive side. How have you guys done it? (This question is probably different for every setup, eh?)

BTW - Frame was purchased from seller XX-Goods

All input is welcomed! Thanks!

The bike
    Noob questions...-20130319_192820_zpsc7efb2ae.jpg

The gap that is much too large
    Noob questions...-80e7352b-3ee5-4b94-bb74-2e7224d9c6ab_zps5ccb184d.jpg

Showing the derailleur is as far down as possible basically
    Noob questions...-3611cecc-0939-405e-816c-9ffd7ca011f8_zps7705908b.jpg
    Last edited by boon07; 03-20-2013 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    93 views and no responses? Lol C'mon someone has to have a recommendation!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You need a different front derailleur--or, what I would do, is run it 1x9. The gap between the derailleur cage and the top of the chain ring should be between 2 - 5mm.

Picture Unrelated
    You need a bottom swing (high clamp) derailleur. You have a top swing (low clamp). Make sure the pull is from the correct direction as well (top or bottom, some do both).

Also, put a damn seapost in that thing and clamp it there. Nothing bothers me more than people clamping frame tubes. For fun, go squeeze the tubing on your bike between two fingers; you'll probably be able to flex it. Now imagine the force of a clamp on that tube and the force from swinging the bike around in the stand.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by boon07 View Post
    As for the bottom bracket, I am wondering how you guys typically orient your spacers. I have a Shimano XT external BB (68/73 mm) and the BB on the frame is a 68 mm, so I will need about 5 mm of spacers. What size and quantity do you put on each side? To get the spacing from the frame to the lowest cog correct, I was figuring about 2.5 on the drive side and the rest on the non drive side. How have you guys done it? (This question is probably different for every setup, eh?)
    You should really start reading those tech booklets that come with your components because it covers everything you just asked. Here's an article from Park on the issue which will help you: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog External Bearing Crank Systems (Hollowtech II, MegaeXo, Giga X Pipe, X-type, Campagnolo Ultra Torque)
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    You might need a "high mount" FD

Noob questions...-shfdmn808_zoom.jpg
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You are right, my bad! Thanks for the link, that takes care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    You should really start reading those tech booklets that come with your components because it covers everything you just asked. Here's an article from Park on the issue which will help you: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog External Bearing Crank Systems (Hollowtech II, MegaeXo, Giga X Pipe, X-type, Campagnolo Ultra Torque)