mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Noob needs some help. Im overwhelmed!!

Well heres. A quick run down. Im 6.0" 180 and will be riding road and lots of trails once i find them. This " components" stuff is really getting to me. As a beginer its hard to look at specs and take anything in.

Anyway. Heres what im looking into.
    Bike 1. Iron horse warrior team fs allmountain. Now this is a canadian model, it is the same frame as a maverick 4.0 but has what i think to be good componets.

Rock shock j1 100 mm fork
    Hayes disc front and rear
    Fox vanilla rear
    And sram stuff but thats where i get lost.
    Bike sold for around 700 here in canada in 2007. I can pick it up for 400 can and it has barley been used (i assume it will need a tune up)

Next is a trek 3700 disc. I don think its as well equiped as the iron horse but then again im new. It sells for 499 can

2011 devinci cameleon 1. Looks like a great bike, canadian made but from what i have been reading, not speced out really well. Sells for 555 can

Norco bushpilot, this is a 2010 model. Looks like an old guy bike with the colour on it. But i was told it has better components then the devinci.

My issue is that any of these bikes would be a huge step up from what i am used
    to. But i like quality stuff and the more reasearch i do the more it seems like my price range is not high enough to get a good bike. My budget is 600 max canadian.

Im not into hard riding right now but i know I will once i get a good ride.

Im getting mixed answers about the ironhorse frames. I dont need a full suspension bike but if the components are good and the price is right i would.

Are the others good to build off of ?

Sorry for the long post but im getting frustrated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I cant post links to the bikes due to my post count. Sorry

mtbr member
    You sound like your exactly where I was a year ago but already with a little more insight than I did. If your already certian you will be digging your tires into the dirt on trails, especially in your area, then first start looking at the components on the frame and then the frame second. Its rare for people to put cheesy components on good frames. Don't settle for a hardtail either. If you do you will wish you would have gotten the full suspension. Especially for where you live. Go with full suspension. Now back to the components. Shimano and Sram are the leaders in the industry stick to x7 components or higher with Sram and Deore SLX series or higher with Shimano. Stick to this guideline and you will find a bike that you will be more than happy with until you get to the point of spending over a thousand dollars on your bike. And if end up deciding that biking isn't your thing you will have a bike that will be easier for you to turn around and sell. I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It does help. Thanks. I think i have decided to go with the devinci. I might go for the cameleon 2 though. Im just ineasy about the iron horse. Iys a sportcheck bike and i would just feel more comfortable on a new bike. I will ride the devinci first and see how it feels. I think the components will be just fine for me as long as i stop reading and reasearching lol. Going from walmart bikes to a real bike will be a big step up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    well i passed on the iorn horse.. brakes needed work and cables were a bit stiff and he wouldnt budge from the 400 price. Plus it felt squishy (rear shock might have needed work).

any way i bit the bullet on a 2011 devinci cameleon 2. need to support my fellow canadians.