mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Smile Noob .. Bike help please? Heckler?

My neighbor has a 2004 or 05 Santa Cruz Heckler with the following components. He wants $750 for it. I donít know a lot about these bikes, nor some of the components. Am I just settling for a full suspension bike that I wonít be happy with in 1 year? I am currently riding an entry level hard tail.

Hereís what know about the bike

Frame is either 04 or 05, believe its 2005
    Marzzochi All Mountain 1 Fork w/lockout
    Fox Float rear shock
    WTB tires
    Thompson elite seatpost
    Chris King hubs, King headset.
    Avid Juicy seven disc brakes
    XT shifters, cranks, XTR rear derailleur

Bike weight about 30lb, which is an improvement of 4lbs over my hard tail.
    Most of my riding is cross country, foothills setting.

Thanks all.

Picture Unrelated
    The Heckler is a classic design, they still make it currently. Hard to say how much it's worth, doesn't seem like a bad price to me though. It won't be a bike that will hold you back in a year, that is for sure.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is the neighbor a very trustworthy person?If he isn't I wouldn't think of buying it since it may be damaged in a manner difficult to recognize by sight,this may not be the case but dropping 750 in something that will put you into more expenses shouldn't be worth the risk.According to analytic cycling a beginner(I think)will save about 28 secs by losing 4.3 lbs from his bike in a 5km,8% climb.This is not weight lost from the wheels though but yet but given that you are a rookie you shouldn't save more than 45 secs due to weight and more than 2-3 mins overall(due to more efficient components handling etc).If you are a pro you shouldn't save much more time either,if any.If you are buying this bike in order to become faster don't .If I were I you would keep my bike until it get's used to dismantlement.When this happens you should know that you will be in need of a better bike(a bike with the specifications you you mentioned serves this role quite well)and you will have some precious experience on the durability of your components too.Imagine being on the market for a new wheelset at some time and asking the forum which is more durable A or B.There is a good chance that you won't find anyone who has used both the way you will.If you have already worn out a wheelset though you could refer to it's durability as a value for measuring other wheelsets.I am telling you this because I've made the same mistake.This is just my opinion though and don't hesitate to PM me for questions.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Window_shopper
    Is the neighbor a very trustworthy person?If he isn't I wouldn't think of buying it since it may be damaged in a manner difficult to recognize by sight,this may not be the case but dropping 750 in something that will put you into more expenses shouldn't be worth the risk.According to analytic cycling a beginner(I think)will save about 28 secs by losing 4.3 lbs from his bike in a 5km,8% climb.This is not weight lost from the wheels though but yet but given that you are a rookie you shouldn't save more than 45 secs due to weight and more than 2-3 mins overall(due to more efficient components handling etc).If you are a pro you shouldn't save much more time either,if any.If you are buying this bike in order to become faster don't .If I were I you would keep my bike until it get's used to dismantlement.When this happens you should know that you will be in need of a better bike(a bike with the specifications you you mentioned serves this role quite well)and you will have some precious experience on the durability of your components too.Imagine being on the market for a new wheelset at some time and asking the forum which is more durable A or B.There is a good chance that you won't find anyone who has used both the way you will.If you have already worn out a wheelset though you could refer to it's durability as a value for measuring other wheelsets.I am telling you this because I've made the same mistake.This is just my opinion though and don't hesitate to PM me for questions.
    Holy crap, really?

Let me see if I can condense your post into something that actually makes sense:

Take the bike to a shop and have them tell you what's wrong with it.

How'd I do?

AZ
    banned
    /\ Agreed . Take it to your LBS and let them give it the once over to identify any potential issues , if it checks out go for it .
    EDIT: If it works out , your going to love the Heckler .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Look smarty pants,I was trying to tell my opinion on his decision and that consumed the biggest part of what I wrote.If you meant that,learn that it is hard to be brief without losing in clarity or specificness.I didn't think of the fact that an LBS could check it,and I have no experience on such issues,but it should be ok if it passes his tests.
    Last edited by Window_shopper; 06-13-2010 at 04:06 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Look smarty pants,I was trying to tell my opinion on his decision and that consumed the biggest part of what I wrote.It is hard to be brief without losing in clarity or specificness.I didn't think of the fact that an LBS could check it,but even then I guess there are some types of damage that aren't easily recognizable.

Your point is ? Just trying to brief so here it is , if you cant stand a bit of critical opinion your on the wrong forum .

AZ
    banned
    Look smarty pants,I was trying to tell my opinion on his decision and that consumed the biggest part of what I wrote.If you meant that,learn that it is hard to be brief without losing in clarity or specificness.I didn't think of the fact that an LBS could check it,and I have no experience on such issues,but it should be ok if it passes his tests.

And since you edited this while I was posting , since you admittedly have no experience in these issues , you shouldnt even be posting your opinion since it has no value whatso ever .

SPQR
    I have a 2006 Heckler that I absolutely adore I think the good thing about this frame set is that it can be built up to take on various duties, I built mine up as a heavy duty trail bike at 32lbs.As others have mentioned have the bike checked out by a pro, my main concern would be a f@#ked up frame or frame shock, damage to either would be cause to pass on this bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow, thanks for all the replies

If I am to proceed I will have it checked out, since I donít know the owner all that well. I just wasnít sure if the components on the bike are decent components. The truth is Iíd like to get a full suspension bike, I just cannot justify $2k + for what I really want. 

SPQR
    nice components...if they are not damaged or worn out, 2k is not much these days for a bike with full suspension, hope all goes well

mtbr member
    May 2010
    -Yes you are right I did edit it but you hadn't posted an answer before I did,so it wasn't a way of trying to deceptively prove you wrong(if you refereed to me editing my previous post).
    -Now,I was talking to zebrahum just in case of misconception.I didn't disagree with the process of briefing up what I wrote,I disagreed with the debasement of my expressed opinion.Many rookies do buy a new bike for the wrong reasons and I was one of them so I should know something about it.I am just saying that I had some well justified reasons to tell my opinion and so I did.Maybe I got too hectic with it,but still irony isn't a way of answering.
    -I didn't complain about the accuracy of you summary,I just don't approve of the way you treated my post.And keep in mind that no one in his right minds likes to post a paragraph as an answer so when I realise that what I write is ******** or something that won't help others I should stop it.Do you still believe I shouldn't write?Just justify you opinion and if you develop a convincing argument logically,trust me I will stop posting answers.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thrill,I did read your post hastily so I didn't realize you wanted to buy and FS anyway.I thought it was just the bargain that urged you to the buy rather than a personal need and that's why I stressed out the fact that you wouldn't need it.Some of you may see this as an effort to avoid being told off by AZ.MTNS or zebrahum but believe what you want.
    I don't have much experience at bike setups,but I think that when I talk about something I talk logically.I don't have anything to say about your buy since my opinion was based on false premises and listen to others.

P.S.I have to be accurate to avoid misconceptions.Whoever thinks that I am babbling can try to write what I am saying more briefly without losing in meanings' accuracy.I am not usually writing that much,check my other posts,this was an emergent case.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oops,brain fart I did edit it after his post.

Picture Unrelated
    Easy there. You wrote maybe two concise points hidden in a pile of unhelpful numbers or complex hypothetical situations. I'm going to be a bit of an ass because that's what I do, but if you can see past a bit of sarcasm hopefully you'll understand we're trying to get you to think before you hit the submit button. If you want to make an impact on someone then you're going to have to present readable arguments. Read what you write before you submit or at the very least separate your thoughts into paragraphs.

You're just lucky I haven't had a bad week, I have an e-history of blowing up over dumb crap

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The wheels, if not totally effed up, are worth the purchase price. Chris King disc hubs aren't cheap by any means.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Trust me I do have to think before I write and I do so.I just wanted to be as convincing as I could but you are right I overdid it and I should look into this at the future.Now,if you were really trying to help someone selflessly and others fooled around with you wouldn't you get pissed off?.Bottomline: I wrote ******** but I didn't intend to and I have equal reasons to you to get pissed off.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Zebrahum I really meant to end this here and don't waste my and your time,but answer if you want.That doens't count for MT since he hasn't answered yet and he can continue if he wants so.

Picture Unrelated
    Zebrahum I really meant to end this here and don't waste my and your time,but answer if you want.That doens't count for MT since he hasn't answered yet and he can continue if he wants so.
    Not pissed, and not selfless. Advice was applicable for all mankind.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Spending a quarter for something that won't give you a benefit is selfless.I don't say I want a medal for that since I will receive the same help from someone else.But I think that this fact entitles one to not being fooled around.That's why I find me pissing rightful and I bet you would feel the same in my place.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Spending a quarter for something that won't give you a benefit is selfless.I don't say I want a medal for that since I will receive the same help from someone else.But I think that this fact entitles one to not being fooled around.That's why I find me getting pissed off rightful and I bet you would feel the same in my place
    P.S. edited for easily concluded reasons(have to work on my English).

local jackass
    if all is good i would for sure pay 750 for that if not for just the parts on it i would love some King hubs
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists