mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Noob; (09)Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er or (07)Raleigh Mojave 8.0

Hello all,

First post here on this great site, and I would like user opinions. I am looking for a bike, which will be used 50/50 dirt/paved. I am a clyde, and will be pumping some power through the drivetrain.

LBC has a 21" 09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er all stock for $500. I have read that the wheels are junk, pedals are plastic, as well as a pretty lousy front shock. The bike is in great shape, but I think it is a little over priced.

I found a 2007 (one of the best years?) Raleigh Mojave 8.0 on the local CL. Mike is in very good condition with the following options:

size is L 20.
    Fork: Rock Shox Tora 318, Air spring, motion control damper with compression and rebound adjustment
    Brakes: Shimano BR-M486 disc brakes w/160mm rotors (only 10 miles on brakes)
    Crank: Truvativ Blaze 44-32-22
    Shifters: SRAM X-7
    Cassette: SRAM PG-950 11-32
    Wheels: stock
    Tires: Bontrager Jones XR
    Handlebar: Easton EA30
    Grips: Bontrager lock-on
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM x-5
    Front Derailleur: SRAM x-7
    Cables and housing : Alligator
    Oddessey Metal Pedals.

He wants $375 for the setup.

I am liking the fact the Specialized is a 29er, but I really just want a nice reliable rig. From the reviews I have read here, the Raleigh seems like a well rouned package, as well as the Specialized. But I know with the specialized I will prob need to replace wheels/pedals/front shock after not too many miles?

Your thoughts please?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Sounds like he upgraded the fork on that Raleigh. I wonder if he confused the derailleurs, because the RD on the 2007 Mojave 8.0 was an X.7 and I think the front was an X.5. Also, the stock shifters were X.5.

Good luck with your choice and happy trails!

HP

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The bike has had some different configs, and this is what he is offering!! Any reason I should ask or look for something different?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Something to help you mellow out maybe, I dunno.

Otherwise, I'm sure it's an excellent ride. My bike started life as an '08 Mojave 8.0. Very solid. Raleigh is an underrated brand, imo, for the entry- to mid-level stuff.