Thread: No-Name Frames?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

No-Name Frames?

I've been looking around for a decent frame for a 26" hardtail build. I was interested in the on-one inbred but it costs almost $300 including shipping to the US. I like the inbred's geometry so I'm looking for something similar but for a bit less. Here's what I've found,

1. So-called "kinesis" frame from bike island. Welds look clean and I like the wishbone chainstays. It's also made in Taiwan and not china, which is nice. http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1553

2. Brand-X frame from chainreaction. The color is nice and the welds look clean enough. Head tube gusset is nice too.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=12527

Steel would be nice but I can't find many options in the $200 range which is where I want to be.

Thoughts?

AZ
    banned
    Is a used frame out of the question?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nope, just can't find anything I want on ebay or CL.

T.W.O.
    ^what he said used frame is a good way to go when you are on the budget. You can check out Nashbar or performance bike frame too, I've seen a hardtail frame for $59.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I believe that there is a US distributor of On-One frames etc. You might want to see if you can contact the folks in the UK and have them direct you to the US distributor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
    I believe that there is a US distributor of On-One frames etc. You might want to see if you can contact the folks in the UK and have them direct you to the US distributor.

Shiggy is the On-One guy in the states.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The only US distributor i've found is unreal cycles.Even though they're "on sale" right now the price plus shipping is w/in a couple bucks of buying direct from On-One.

backwoods and backwards
    I recently built a single speed on the performance/access aluminum frame. Nothing wrong with the frame at all. I think it wound up being $120.ish after shipping.
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i built one on the nashbar frame...no complaints here. i've ridden a lot of bikes on and off over the years, can't say i notice any quality difference, or anything noticable from a more expensive one. the design is pretty straight forward, nothing fancy.